How can it be that important?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jlingle, Nov 21, 2007.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    How can fishing and hunting mean so much? How could they really be that important?

Don't ask me why, but at almost 3AM this morning I'm asking myself these questions. I killed the biggest deer of my life on Sunday evening at 5:30pm. I was as emotional in that moment as I've been in a long time, and I really find it hard to fathom. It's hard to understand how something so simple, can possibly be so important to me. Yet it is.

I have begun to notice in my life, that the guys that I hunt and fish with are always my closest friends. I just seem to hold them in a different light than everybody else. Somehow we connect on a different level. Maybe it's because of what we share when we spend time outdoors. It used to be other things were that important to me, but the older I get, the more important my time outside seems to be. There are a few exceptions to this rule. I can play golf with a few people and it seems like that's the only thing in the world to be doing at the moment (Song, Tommy) but other than that, it's all fishing & hunting. Maybe the time spent away from everything just has a way of putting things in perspective, or maybe it just seems to set things right for me. I don't know how to explain it.

All I know is that when I walked up on that buck Sunday evening, tears flowed. It wasn't because I was sad for the animal's death, but rather tears of joy that showed appreciation for the quality of the experience. I've never had that happen before & may never again. Emotions raced through me that I could hardly contain. I was excited to kill a big deer, but I regretted doing it while Kent was laid up on his back in bed. I had been able to take my biggest deer on a great friend's property, and share something meaningful with him as well. I was overwhelmed with a feeling of "doing it right". I had passed up a great buck the night before... because I hadn't been able to accurately judge him, then was rewarded by being able to kill an even bigger buck by following my own ethics.

It's hard to explain how the emotions of a great hunting and/or fishing experience can roll through your body. My buddy Josh & I actually HUGGED when he killed his first buck. My buddy Bray and I hug and high-five everytime a big fish hits the bank, and people look at us like we're nuts, but that's one of the best things that he and I share.... and we're damn good at it. Another buddy named Kent and I...... it seems like we can nearly always catch big fish, and kill big deer. Some of the most satisfying times in my life are times spent in the outdoors. I'm just incredibly blessed to have good friends (as well as a son) who enjoy sharing those moments with me. If you're reading this & you are thinking "HUH?" well then maybe you need to try it for yourself. I'll never be able to put it on paper. All I know to say is that right now it seems important to me to say Thanks to everyone who allows me to share these times with you.

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice honest piece Mr. J"Jungle" Lingle. I enjoyed reading it.

I cry too, because the guys I sometimes hunt with always do better than me. I slap 'em on the back and have a fake grin on my face. I always make sure they buy the beer though.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    My wife says that if I don't fish for a while I become a different person. I tell her that that makes me sound pretty shallow but she says she understands that fishing is what makes me truly at peace with the world. I don't notice it myself but both her and my daughter say the same. It must mean a lot more to me than I realize...W

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Jerrod, I think you did a fine job of putting it into words. I, too, understand, but do not know how to write it. Others far smarter than I have said we feel that way because the hunter in us has been ingrained way deep in our ancestral past. It's as strong as any other emotion we have and sits right there alongside our need to protect our family. I read an article many years ago called "The Watcher". It was about how many of us find ourselves occasionally standing outside our doorways, late into the night, watching. We are not sure what it is we are watching, but we very well know we are searching out the shadows for something. It's a protective thing, traced back to standing outside the cave.
    Things like that, are yearnings we have little control over. We need to do them as sure as we need to breath. We recognize it in those others we see that have the same yearnings. Not everyone has them. Yet, when exposed to the correct circumstances, they can come out of folks who had never experienced them before, much in the same way that disaster can bring things out of folks that they didn't know they had in them. Be proud that you will go through life experiencing these things and be proud to share them with your "brothers", all whom are here because we have felt the same yearnings and want to share those feelings with others of like nature.

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Excellent post Jerrod! You hit the nail right on the head. I know exactly where your coming from with your written piece and really enjoyed reading it. :big_smile: :cool2:

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Great post jingle and kutter, One from the heart and one from the cave. LOL

7. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Very good post Jerrod. My brother and I have a love for being in the field together. It seem to bring us closer and we talked of things we didn't, otherwise. I lost him in March but those memories will be with me forever.

Thanks for stirring those memories.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    life is outdoors is life any questions:cool2:

9. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Very well said Jerrod, i know exactly how you feel!!

10. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Jerrod excellent post .

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Great post Jerrod, It all boils down to our survival insticts. In long years past Men were hunters, they hunted for meatto feed their families.(this is why when men go to the store they go in ...get what they are after...and get out)
    Women were gatherers, they would gather berries, nuts and other vegetation for meals. (this is why they have to look at everything in the store before they leave)

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Beautiful post. You can tell so much about the strength and weaknesses of your fishing buddies by the way they act, the way they talk, the way they share.

As far as the outdoors part of it in general, my belief is that is as close to God as we will ever be on this earth when we are outside in His perfect creation. I don't attend Man's church often enough, but I certainly try to be in His.

Something about the outdoors brings me to peace, on the surface it is all so simplified, while life simmers under the surface. Under that calm serenity there are countless life death struggles going on just as in the daily struggles that go on inside each and every one of us daily. The overall serenity reminds me that we are but a very small part of the big picture.

Thanks for the thread.