How can i take my 1851 navy cap and ball revolver apart, its jammed?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by south_va_fisherman, Mar 19, 2007.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    there is a ball stuck in the barrel that i cant push out. i need to know how to to take the barrel off. thanks

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Why do have to take the barrel off? have you tried driving the ball out with a wooden dowl and a mallet?

3. 390fe

390fe New Member

State:
    Creston, Iowa,
    Black powder residue disolves in plain water, so remove the grips and give it a decent soak. Try to work the moving parts every few minutes. It should loosen up pretty quickly.

And be prepared to dry and lube everything afterwards.

4. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Charles look right in front of the cylinder and you will see a wedge pin,just drive it out and you can break down your Navy colt.

5. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i saw that and figured thats what i need to do. but i cant figure out how to remove it, the screw doesnt want to come out and i dont want to strip it. could i tap it out with a rubber malet or hammer? thanks

6. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    yes i tried the pounding them out with a mallet and cleaning rod and they are in there too tight. all that happened was the end of the cleaning rod went into the ball. i will have to try a widder wooden dowl. thanks

7. 390fe

390fe New Member

State:
    Creston, Iowa,
    I guess I didn't read the whole post. Good thing you didn't shove the gun in a bucket of water-it wouldn't have removed that ball...

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    The scew ya leave alone..the wedge pin taps out left to right, and the barrel assembly separates from the frame. Use wood or brass to force out the ball to keep from hurting yer bore. If the ball stuck at the flash gap between the cylinder and barrel, use a "soft" tool also, to pry apart the barrel assembly from the frame so as not to score your cylinder face.
    :wink:

9. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Ok on some reproduction models there is a screw that is there to keep the wedge bar from coming out. If there is a screw that is there it will have to be removed. Others the wedge bar has a split in the large end with a small lip that has to be pressed down to be able to remove it...then others are held in place because the bar is tapered and that holds it in place.

If you are not sure of the proper breakdown of your gun ...by all means take it to a gunsmith for help or someone that knows. Did you get a manual with your gun?

Jesse