How can I catch some skipjacks?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by FREESPOOL, Sep 28, 2007.

1. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I have a sabaki rig that I've used looking for skipjacks with no luck. I've just tried it in random places along the river. I've tried below the dam in alton a bit and a few other places. Is there a certain area I need to be looking for them? How much weight do you guys use on the end of it? I appreciate the help. Lord knows I can use it. :tounge_out:

Dan

2. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Dan I posted a similar question not too far back without any response so I hope this thread works out better for us. From what some of the old threads have said is that you are only supposed to have three hooks I believe, so they use a three jig system but if you are using a sabiki that most put a small spoon on the end for a weight and the ones with more flash work better. I have used some in saltwater and if you cut a few off its less of a mess when you do get multiple fish on. As for where to get them, (from what i have heard) it is better in the spring and some of the waters down south like the Ohio have some good sized ones that can be found pretty regularly. As for up here in these waters at this time of year I hope someone out there has the answer and is feeling generous:big_smile:

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Check out Turtle1173's thread about skipjack in the Local MO talk area. You guys might ask him what type of spots he looks for to find them :wink:.

I've only caught them once, but I think the key is water movement. Seems like you need some kind of turbulence in the water to get higher oxygen levels, which they like. We were catching them near the gates at MP dam, but as soon as we had to move back out of the boil, no more fishies. Good Luck!

Branden

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Along the rock revetment at Alton Dam is a good place to find skipjacks. Just cast the sabiki out and reel it back in using a jerky erratic retrieve. You can catch the skips and the big mooneyes using this method. In the middle of the day they are typically down a little deeper. In the early morning and late evenings they will be up near the top of the water column. River Rat has good luck catching them right off of the rocks there in the parking lot at Alton. You can get them over by the Lock Wall too. Its best when they are running pretty good as you can get them every cast. Not sure what they are doing this time of year. I havnt been up to the dam in a couple of months. I believe Darryle has been getting quite a few "skipjacks", I mean "Mooneyes" this summer as well. :wink:

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Just a sidethought, you can use crappie jigs in lieu of the sabiki rigs too. Also, anything that is shiney in your tackle box will catch them also. I've caught them on small rapalas, beetle spins, spoons, you name it. The skipjacks are at the dam to eat minnows so anything you have that imitates a small minnow will work. Large Sabiki Rigs do seem to work better though. If you watch the water closely you will know if the skips are working an area. They will be belting the top of the water as they blast into minnow schools. These are great places to cast.

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I was out the other day at Winfield. I docked the boat on a dike on the Illinois side and walked all the way to the dam gates. I fished a Sabiki and couldn't get anything. I was in the turbulent stuff too. I actually hit the gate with my sabiki several times I was that close.

I have caught a few mooneyes on a sabiki at Alton but no skips yet.

At Alton also, If there are no bank fishermen in the way try where the water rolls around the rock point just upstream of the boat ramp inlet bay thingy (you know what I mean:wink:). I've managed a few small skippies in my cast net there and some mooneyes also on a sabiki and cast net.

I did cut mine down to three hooks though to comply with Missouri Laws.:confused2:

Do they make a net heavy enough to sink quickly enough to catch the buggers? Guess not or folks would be buying them.

Thinking about putting the HEAVY SINKERS on and returning to the gate for CATS though. Not sure if they are still stacked there though??????

7. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    This summer I was catching the skips right next to the dam, there is a swirl where the water actually circles around and flows back towards the dam...that is where I was nailing them this summer.

However, I noticed that near the end of July, they seemed to be a little more scarce in that particular spot, the mooneyes were still plentiful though,and IMHO they are the best bait! But normally I catch the mooneyes in the throw net.

I do catch quite a few small skips, those not yet fast enough to escape the net, they are about 3-4 inches. I catch these when I'm netting the mooneyes.

I haven't tried a sabiki since they stopped biting near the dam, but when I use it, I tend to put a 1/2 ounce weight on it, that way I can launch it from the bank to the first set of swirls and then start retrieving. This summer I was catching skips and mooneyes that were close to 15 inches long! Great bait baby!!!!

Now that y'all posted this, I feel like giving it a shot, just to see what happens!

8. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have only caught skipjacks on the tenn but that is the only place i've tried. At pickwick dam I usually catch them about 500yrds away from the dam right on the bank in the fastest current there is. I just cast out and real in. A fast retreive works best for me there. I also use 3 yellow or white crappie jigs tied about 1ft apart. The jigs are 1/16oz and I add a 1/8oz split shot to the end of the line. I use a very lite spinning real and 10lb test so i dont need much weight. I hope this helps.