how bout some tips

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ncfowler, Apr 29, 2008.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    Over the years I have heard of some good tips and made a few myself, Most come from the need to improve or rigg something to work. Others just made sence. so here a few tips that I hope will help.
    1. I got some new rods and found that the reels seats were loose, a easy fix is to get an old bike innertube from a bike cut it the length of the reel foot, slice the tube open so it will lay flat, trace the foot on the tube, then cut it out and place it under the foot and reel seat and tighten up the seat, a snug fit.
    2. I have a label maker, I make a label saying property of "your name" make sure it will fit under the length of your reel's foot, stick it to the underside of your reels foot and place it back on the rod, now if your gear gets stolen at least it has a id on it.
    3. Much like tip#2 except for rods, get a rod builder pen and just sign your name on your rod near the handle and put a good sealer over it.
    4. Hooks are always a problem on a boat when in transit. I take the hook and hook it on the under side of my casting reel next to the reel's foot, this will keep the hook in a safe and unexposed.
    5. In my boat i have several knifes one in the bow, one in the stern, and one under the console, There has been times when i need to cut a line quick to prevent a major accident. or even worst.

The list can go on and on so lets here some ideas and tips form the rest of you.

2. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    we tie a jug to the end of our anchor rope when the current is swift. if you have to go down river after a big fish you can untie your anchor rope and the jug will keep your anchor rope from sinking. come back and just grab the jug.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    When i was bass fishin hot n heavy, i took tennis rackett wrap and wrapped the frame of my spinning rods. The little bit of cushion sure makes a difference on my lil' boney fingas when i'm settin the hook.

4. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    i got a 12vlt electric fillet knife in truck and try to fillet out what i can before i head home then the carcass can be easily disposed of baiting up for next time...

also keep a box of 1gal freezer bags in truck with fishing gear

a box of rubber gloves comes in quite handy when dealin with the stink bait, most them i dont mind gettin the ole fingers in, gets rid that human smell when rebaiting. BUT the cofishers dont like it lol

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Welcome to the BOC. ><[[[[º>

6. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    ty am learnin my way round here

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    AJ Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a23::0a25::0a25:

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Welcome aboard the BOC AJ. You can find all kinds of useful information in the member library.:0a22::0a20:

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the tips. I know these will come in handy.

10. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Welcome to the BOC from SW Florida, AJ.

Tips; 1.When moving to another spot, we tow the anchor. Just bring the line alongside and cleat it to the stern, it is faster than hauling and resetting. Your buddy can keep a hand on the line and let you know when it comes loose, just for safety.

2. I keep a bag of cable ties in the boat. Everything seems to need to be lashed. I also keep a cheap pair of dykes/wire cutters on the boat and everywhere else, for that matter, for cutting cable ties, line, etc.

3.Hide a six pack somewhere in the boat.:smile2:

11. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    along with the dykes i like at least a extra pair pliers and i also use a nail clipper on a neck laynard handy. never know when u gonna lose something!!!

and ty to everyone for the welcomes!!