How big

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by warmouth, Sep 22, 2007.

1. warmouth

warmouth New Member

State:
    cincy Ohio
    whats the biggest bait that you have used and caught fish?

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    16 inch Shad, and a 18 inch skip jack. those are my biggest baits that I remember catching fish on. Oh I forgot the 3 lb grasshopper too..:eek:oooh:

The bigger the bait the larger the fish, you might not catch as many but you will catch a few and the few you wait for are well worth it.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    12 inch sucker this past July.

4. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bigger than hand sized perch is what I use most but a 3lb carp is perfect throw line bait when I can get them! Two years ago My buddy and I was running throw lines in the river and we had a 18lb flathead on our line that a bigger fish had swolled and its tail was turning to jelly when we got it in. The hook was in the mouth of the 18lb fish and the bigger fish turned loose when we was trying to land it. They say a Flathead can eat a fish 1/3 of its body weight but I don't know that for sure. I just read it some where. We caught the fish in my picture the next day in the same hole. It weighted 67 lbs. So really I guess a bait can be as big as you want it really. My buddy caught a 48 lb flathead on a 4 lb channel cat that had eaten the 3" perch that he put on the hook. He landed the flat and the channel!! It was just pushed up the staigen.

5. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I try to use this size,but they are hard to find.

Attached Files:

6. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yeppa, LOL Now that's a bait!!!

7. steemboatwv

steemboatwv New Member

State:
    west virginia
    I usually try to use roughly 5 to 7 inch live shad and goldfish, largest I have used and caught with was a 12 inch carp, all does great in the ohio river.