How big of a fish would you handle?

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by jeremiad, Jan 25, 2008.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    For you kayak and canoe anglers out there, what is the biggest fish that you ever caught?

Did you ever cut the line for fear of being capsized?

Have you ever released a fish without bringing it on board for fear that he might just be too much fish to handle safely?

Or like me, do you generally fish smaller bodies of water for fear that you just might catch a fish bigger than you want to handle? You could end up in the drink faster than you can imagine!

Would any of you dare fish a large river below the fall line for some of the prized blues depicted on this site?

Now, for those big-game anglers of the plastic navy, what are some good tips for helping us bring the big ones on board a small craft?

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    get a big boat , catch big fish lol :wink:

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    my nephew paul andes caught a 56 lb blue in the kansas river up in kansas city in a canoe last year he thinks in less then 10ft of water.

4. tdheater

tdheater New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've yet to get my new yak in the water, lows been in the single digets this week, but looking on the other websites, you can haul a shark on board if you got the guts. Me personally, sharks belong in ocean, not in my 12 foot by 2.5 foot plastic kayak. I plan on catching as big of fish as posible but retain the right to clip the line if I need to. I may change my tune after being dragged around by a big blue or flathead.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i bet he could have out ran a 9.9 LOL.. can you imagine driving a boat up river and getting passed by a canoe!!:smile2: rollo

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    ya rollo and hes a tall skinny littlechit also its funny he called me early that morning if i wanted to go with him and his buddy its about 1hour 15 minute drive for me so i said no let alone a 300 lb plus fat guy in a darn canoe:crazy::crazy: o well i wouldnt of even dared i would of stayed on the bank !!!!!!!! boy he sure was proud of that fish he does really good on the kansas river i may have to go with him this year.. but its in the city :eek:oooh: yuck!!!!

7. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    I have seen pictures of guys hauling in huge redfish, pike, and even sharks on SOT kayaks, but I was wondering about catfish in particular.

Some of these other species can be quite feisty, for certain, but catfish have a special way of fighting. I have wondered if, when a catfish dives for cover, the crossing and downward pull of such a large fish could roll you.

This might not be a problem in a lake, but I haven't gotten the nerve to float the Potomac or the James Rivers and try for one of those blues. I'm not sure that I would want to practice my Eskimo roll in the middle of a huge river with all my tackle on board!

8. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I've yet to catch anything over 2 foot long in the yak. I do troll the shore in the gulf about a mile out hoping for something larger but have yet to hook up. Need to get out in the Atlantic but its hard to leave Destin when theres a free condo there:wink:. I'm always alone so I don't get my sights to big. Going saltwater again in the spring and will be bringing a friend so I'll be able to go out alot further. I plan on trolling 18" live blut bloody ladies in hopes of a large bull or black tip. I'd love to take a slegh ride:big_smile:

9. Flathead101Va

Flathead101Va New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The biggest I've caught would be a 20# flathead in a canoe. I wouldnt suggest taking a canoe or yak on the Lower James and fishing for big blues. It's really not the safest thing to do. I have a 14' x2 wide jon boat and wouldnt fish it down there :crazy:

Its all about knowing your limits and abilities when it comes to boating or fishing in yaks and canoes.

10. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    Good advice, Derik!

Interestingly, the Sit-On Top kayak was invented by surf fishermen in California as an upgrade to a surfboard. In this case, there are adventuresome folks out there for which the lower James would not prove too much of a challenge.

That group certainly wouldn't include me!

In general, when facing water that I have never plied before, I leave the tackle in the car and maximize the safety equipment.

Of course, it never fails that the fishing opportunities are always best when the tackle is in the car, not on the boat! :wink:

11. Flathead101Va

Flathead101Va New Member

State:
    Virginia
    :0a27:

I know SoT's are offshore capable.. I just wouldnt be comfortable drifting (definitely not going to anchor) in those currents with boats and barges abound.

12. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Using a mothership to get the kayaks off shore, Fish such as Tarpon, Kingfish, Redfish, Sailfish and Sharks weighing in the 30 to 150 pound range (according to species) are frequently caught. The mothership is helpful because of the long distances you have to travel off shore here in NE Florida to get to deep water and as a safety backup.
    Keeping your tackle and drag setting fairly light is a requirement so a sudden run by the fish doesn't either yank you out of the boat or turn you over. Keep a knife VERY handy so you can cut loose if you get uncomfortable or in trouble.
    I agree that anchoring can be touchy when fishing currents and near heavy boat traffic so lots of times I will use the kayak to get to places not accessable by other means then beach the boat and bank fish.
    My personal best to get to the kayak is around 30 pounds , so far...

13. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Joel i have to agree with Pat on getting a bigger boat....lol j/k

14. gbigskin

gbigskin New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i use a inexpensive 10' sik that i customized for fishing and the biggest thing i have landed so far as i have had it less than a year is a 50+ alligator snapping turtle (my scale only went to 50 but i have since got a bigger scale). it goes without saying you must be very careful with something this big and dangerous. as to landing big fish in my yak i never bring them on board. i lip them with a gripper like a boga grip when i get them to the boat and put a stringer through the lower lip and tie it off. this works better than a net. the only problem i have had is paddleing back up river to the car with several fish over the side on the stringer. that is when i wish i had a sot and could bring them aboard. for you that are interested in catching lots of cats on something other than a rod and reel if you live in oklahoma or any state south the first of march is the time to start setting limb lines in feeder creeks. catching will be productive to the first of may limb lining on creeks, rivers, and lakes.

15. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Not me!!! When I was stationed in California one of my buddies got into kayak fishing. he flipped over once when a hooked tuna ran under him:crazy::crazy::smile2:. Luckily he had all his tackle secured to the kayak. Another guy i know who is stationed in K-bay, Hawaii hooked into a hammer head and got drug around for a long time before he finally got the thing in close enough to see it. Then he cut had to cut the line cause there was no way he was gonna get back to shore with the thing!

16. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    C'mon Dameon, it sounds like they had a blast! :wink:

I know of folks out there floating kayaks where few of the guys suggesting bigger boats would never go! As Pirate Jerry points out, though, the significant advantage of a kayak is its ability to reach areas on the water inaccessible to the bigger boats.

For instance, a nearby lake that I enjoy fishing is comprised of two long arms. About half of the lake by area is entirely inaccessible to boats using motors of any kind, because far too many stumps sit inches below the surface, even in the deep channel.

Some good sized catfish safely lurk in these areas where there is lots of structure and good food supply. This is the perfect place for a kayak or canoe. In fact, I will sometime push onto a stump instead of anchoring, then fish the surrounding water.

17. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Im sure that they did. The guy who flipped himself still goes out from the San Diego coast. He's got some good pics too! The guy in Hawaii has been known to exagerate like any real fishermen...but I know for a fact that K-bay has it's fair of sharks...

18. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    gbigskin, Hanging a stringer over the side where I fish could get you in a heap of trouble. Either a shark or a gator would get it sooner or later. We either put a decent sized cooler in the tank well or fasten an insulated fish bag on the front of the yak. Most of our fishing is CPR but flounders go home with me if big enough.

19. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
  20. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    NO NO !! I ain't putting a shark THAT big in my lap !!! :eek:oooh: