HOW BIG IS YOUR SHAD

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BIGCATFISHDAN, Apr 7, 2009.

1. BIGCATFISHDAN

BIGCATFISHDAN New Member

State:
    texas
    WHATS THE BIGGEST SHAD YOU GUYS HAVE EVER GOT IN YOUR NET

MINE IS 12" GIZZARD SHAD

2. Gort

Gort New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bout the same on lake conroe... don't get them often but when I do, they are the best bite of the night... we cut them up for blues.
    Not really sure what type of shad we have... i.e. gizzard, or ???... have only seen one type so far.
    The 6 - 8" ones we catch are used for hybrid stripers... they tear them up... We catch some big blues 15 - 25 pounds, when we are after stripers, but when the stripers are feeding, they don't leave much for anything else... they just go nutts.
    Know where I can i.d. the shad we have? I'd be interested to find out exactly what they are.

3. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    Biggest: 11 inches(ish)
    Happy with: 4 - 9 inches
    Most: teeny

I wish all the shad I caught were of the bigger variety, but I have caught decent fish on the dinks too.

4. BIGCATFISHDAN

BIGCATFISHDAN New Member

State:
    texas
    GO TO THE TEXAS PARKS AND WILDLIFE WEBSITE AND SEARCH FREASH WATER FISH THERE WILL BE A LIST OF ALL DIFF KINDS OF FISH. THE BEST WAY TO TELL IF YOUR SHAD IS A GIZZARD IS ON THE UNDERBELLY OF THE SHAD IT IS SERRATED THEY ALSO HAVE A BLACK DOT BEHIND THERE HEAD

5. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Have gotten a few in the 12" range, most are in the 3-4", I like the bigger ones, but I'll take anything.

6. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    you have to have shad to catch good blues. 3-4 inches is the norm. when you get a few big ones you know you have a chance at a bigger blue.

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Biggest for me is 15". Looked like a smallmouth bass. Biggest I have seen is 18"