How big is too big

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by catchaser1, Jul 1, 2006.

1. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    is 40lb line too big, I fish in a lake in s.c. with some pretty big blues and flatheads.

2. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    No, it's not too big.

3. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Brad, first off Welcome to the Brotherhood. We are glad to have you in the family. When it comes to line size common sense will generally lead you in the right direction. Just try to match the recommendations by the folks who made your equipment. I use from 6 to 65 pound test depending on each different requirement. There will be others along with more ideas.

Good luck and again make yourself at home and enjoy this place with the rest of your family.

ST

4. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Brad I have 50lb line on all my reels but one and it's spooled with 80lb.I've been using 50lb+ line for over 30 years with no problems.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I try, though not always succesfully, to go by whats recomended for the reel. The info is usally on the reel are the paperwork that comes with the reel.

6. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    if the conditions call for 40lb test then i would go with the 40lb test. but if you're only catching fish in the 15lb to 20lb region i would be more than happy with 30lb

7. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I use 40, 50, and 80 pound test on my rods. On the misipy, 40# is on the light side. We use 10+ oz weights to keep the bait down and we are looking for 50+ pound cats. They are out there!

If you think you need 40# test, by all means use it!

8. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The size line your rod and reel were designed to handle is an important as the size fish in determining what strength of line to use.

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There are so many variables to consider here. How big do you consider "pretty big blues and flatheads"? How much cover is in the area you are fishing? How far do you have to cast, and can you make it with line that big? What are the maufacturer's recommendations for your rod and reel? Are you using braid or mono?

As far as mono goes, I use 30# test. It's the maximum of what my gear will handle. There are cats where I fish upwards of 70#, but I have plenty of room to fight them usually. There are a lot of rocks, but a lot more open water. If I was fishing in heavy wood cover, 30# wouldn't be enough.

10. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i use 25# big game its seems to be perfect for me

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    It depends on your reel size. Say you have abu 6000 or 6500 reels I have run 25 # for years but just switched to 30 # and dont think I would try anything bigger. On my abu 7000 reels I run 40 # but wouldnt be afraid to run 50 # to 80# just dont see the need for the type of fishing I do. Line brand and weight is a personal preference there is a lot of good brands to choose from. Just match your line to the reel and to the fish size you intend to target. Just my opinion hope that helps.