How big is TOO big?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jmanion8, Jul 31, 2009.

How big is TOO big for bait?

1. 1"-2"

2. 3"-5"

3. 6"-9"

4. 10"-12"

5. 13"-15"

6. No fish is too big to use for bait

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    So I've used some pretty big fish for bait, but just how big do you think is TOO big for bait?

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I think once you get over 18 inches,you,re fishing for monsters only.:wink:.Then again,nothing wrong with that!:crazy:

3. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm personally a believer of bigger bait bigger fish. I've got a HUGE goldfish, probably 14" or so that I'll be putting on the line in a few weeks. It'll have to be a big fish to suck him down, but that's what I'm looking for! I'm looking forward to seeing some opinions on this topic!

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    id have to say no fish is to big,it just depends on how your going to fish it.cut it up in chunks,use the head,put the hole thing on the hook all of that will have to be determined by the size of the bait .

5. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you're fishing for hawgs you've got to remember that they have big appetites and mouths. I've had little flatties hit baits half their size or better. Stay safe and go for it!!!:wink:

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Personally I don't think any fish is too big for bait. 18" 3 pound fish can still be eaten by some catfish out there, and I want him on the end of my line.:big_smile:

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I'm a believer of bigger bait bigger fish.

8. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I allways dedicate one rod for big bait. Persistence will pay off someday.

9. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nothin if your wantin a chance at bein the next world record champion.:smile2::wink:

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Well Kansas rules say over 12" is too big:roll_eyes: soooo what right :wink: 10-12" crappie makes mighty fine bait. If I can cast it I might use it.

11. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    You guys dont even have to beleve me but my neighbor when he is drunk which is alot he walks to the river and baits his trot line with ny strip and 4-5 LB:crazy: carp..and catches huge gar :smile2:...!!!Im dead serious!!!

12. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Cast a crappie out there that big you might just catch me stealling it and catch my frying that sucker!!!

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like big baits. I have used skipjacks over 20" for stripers and bluegills and red ear sunfish bigger than my hand for flatheads. I really dont like using small baits. I'd rather go big or go home!:wink:

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    seems im always using bluegill, i put out a 1 pound shad but i never got one hit he lived all night, my problem is i feel if you got giant bait your hookup ratio will drasticly drop so i stick with hand size or 3 inch sunfish bluegill for flatheads

15. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    when you throw big baits you're pretty much just trophy hunting, which I do quiet often with at least one rod. if you're looking for size over numbers that's the way to go but if you're looking for just action regardless of size i go with medium to small bait.

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am strictly a trophy hunter. If it dont weigh at "least" 30 or 40 lbs.....I'd just as soon not get out of my chair!:crazy:

17. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i use the biggest bait i can find from gill to a warmouth and i seen a flatties of 5to7 lbs take a 9" gill before they eat what they want to they are predtors

18. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I prefer to stick to the 2-4 inch range as I have always seemed to have better luck.

19. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    seems tere a split opinion on this one, i will use a big bait but if i do im going to let him run forever and inhale it, i use whater i get ,but i prefer the bigger greensunfish , over any other bait

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If I was to use live bait, it would be 6 inch and under.