how big is to big

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by Magnus777, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Magnus777

Magnus777 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Depends on where I'm fishing, but usually 5-10lbs. I keep the fish to eat, and I personally don't trust the amount of poisons absorbed from pesticides, fertilizers, and industrial pollution that are absorbed over the lifetime of a larger fish. It's a much bigger problem than most people realize, in fact there aren't many places left where poisons can't be detected at some level in the water. Where I live in Arkansas it's still pretty clean...with the spring fed creeks, and higher elevation rivers. The cats don't get humongous around here, anyway, but you can bet when I go fishing elsewhere I'm not interested in eating anything larger. Besides...let the big ones live to spawn...I figure a huge cat has to lay more eggs than a dink, and probably much better about protecting them, too. That's my two cents.

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You know when you go shopping hungry and you come home with alot more food. jk I would say 10-12 pounds.

3. nanookofthenish

nanookofthenish New Member

State:
    sw iowa
    Ok, Casey, I'll bite, but it sounds like the start of another hate thread. The biggest flathead I have kept for consumption was 35 lbs. Last fall. Money was getting real tight then, and I needed that fish and the 33 lber from 3wks prior to pad the freezer and give us some meals before the ice fishing and hunting kicked in. On any other situation I try to set a high end weight of about 20 lbs for harvest on the flatties. And I'm talking of about 3 fish of that size per season as well.
    I too am concerned about the mercury levels and other MAN MADE contaminates that affect the quality and safety of eating our fish. I may be wrong about this I admit, but I feel that most of those harmful byproducts are settled in the red meat of the fish, which most any educated catfish consumer discards into the trash while cleaning anyway.
    So there it is, an honest admition of creel. Let the ranting begin...

4. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i dont keep anyfish,unless they get injured somehow.i dont condone people keeping fish at all,if i had to set a limit it would be around 8 pounds,from that and up they are fun to catch so i let them go to make more and maybe catch again...

5. IAcrankbait

IAcrankbait New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think it would be great if the big girls got thrown back but as long as its legal to keep them, I won't gripe.
    What I will gripe about is people who keep them/everything and then claim the DNR can not manage a fishery..........that cracks me up. Another one of my favorites is blaming another ethnicity for a declinig fishery while the cry-baby is sitting on a bucket of fish..........doesn't matter what color you are, you're probably guilty of it just like me:wink:
    Check any fishing website you want too and you find a debate just like this one. We're fishermen and we can justify just about anything to ourselves:wink:

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    On any size catfish.. the max for me would be maybe 10 lbs.

7. Magnus777

Magnus777 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    ANY-ting we catch....go in bucket! EVY-ting we catch...go in bucket! LOL! :smile2:

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    :0a27:

9. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    :smile2:I hear that all the time:smile2:

10. Magnus777

Magnus777 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Wait...were we talking about bait here? :smile2:

11. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    i would keep any size fish if it was hooked in a way i thought would kill it anyway ,bleeding from gills ,but other than that, nothing bigger than a 10-15 lber if i wanted some to eat ,but most time i release all i catch