how big is this cat?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jesseray, Apr 20, 2008.

1. jesseray

jesseray New Member

State:
    missouri
    just wanted to know how big everyone thinks this catfish is, i fought it for an hour,hour n half at bagnell dam last summer and was very carefull fighting it cause i only had 20 pound mono line on my rod at the time but when i got him up to the top since i was afraid something was going to happen where i wouldnt get the fish i took some pics quickly. but toward the end i brought him up again seen the line was wrapped around him and then he rolled a couple time and broke the line. now i use 60 pound braid line.

and im not real sure what kind of cat is was either, im thinking it was a blue cause that's all i catch at the dam mostly and it didnt look like a flathead but it looked splotchy brown?

check out the pics and let me know what you think..thanks
    http://www.catfish1.com/gallery/files/2/0/8/3/4/005.jpg
    http://www.catfish1.com/gallery/files/2/0/8/3/4/008.jpg
    http://www.catfish1.com/gallery/files/2/0/8/3/4/007.jpg

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well Jesse, thew only thing that I can tell you with any certainty is that it is definitely not a Flathead. With nothing for size reference I doubt any one could guess the size, but it must have been pretty big to prompt you into taking a pic.:cool2::smile2::wink:

3. jesseray

jesseray New Member

State:
    missouri

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    my guess would be a blue cat in the 28 to 34 pound range:wink:

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Good Guess, Brandon...

I agree... it's probably a blue cat somewhere around 25-30 pounds. You must have had a great time with it.

There is a simple solution to your problem... carry a landing net with you next time you intend to catch such nice fish! :smile2::wink:

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Jesse welcome to the BOC. Thats a Blue Catfish I just dont know how big it was. But its bigger. :smile2:

7. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    def. not a flathead. Prob a blue or truely monster channel. But i have never seen a channel that big.
    I would guess more than 20lbs less than 40, that is a huge range but not enuff info to get more accurate than that IMO.
    I have caught 2 fish that looked IDENTICAL in size i guessed both around 20lbs. One was 18lbs and the other was 24. The fish were within an inch of length of each other and were about the same girth. I dunno what the one was eating but we weighed it on 2 seperate scales (mine and my buddies) cuz we could not believe the differences between these two fish.
    Good luck with finding out what the fish really was or weighted, hopefully u catch him again and USE A NET :smile2:

8. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    I rest my case. I never leave home with out my net. you never know when you might need it to land that fish of a lifetime. Good fish though. I would have to guess that it is a blue or channel in the 20 to 30 pound range. Its most likely a blue that was around a muddy area for a while.

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I WILL AGREE ON THE BLUE CAT THE WEIGHT I WOULD SAY 15/25lbs THATS MY GUESS:smile2: BUT STILL THAT WAS A NICE CATCH

10. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    I say for sure blue cat. Good looking fish.

11. Hoosier_Catman

Hoosier_Catman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would guess taht he weighs between 25-30lbs.

12. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    i would say a blue, as far as weight i cant tell theres nothing in the photo for scale unless you go by line diameter but my vision isnt that good

13. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think he would go close to 50 lbs it is along ways from his nose to that top fin on his back. He looks like he might be 45 in long what do youall think. thanks Sam Davis

14. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    im going with pretty much everybody else on this one and saying its in the lower thirties.

15. mikey823

mikey823 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would guess it would be in the upper thirty`s but no more than forty.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    no idea on weight but these guys are correct. not a flathead. either blue or a giant channel. looks like a blue to me.

17. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I would say 25-30 give or take a couple onces.

18. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    That fish is a good size blue you can tell by the hump in front of the dorsol fin. that fish is probably 25-30lbs. it kinda hard to tell from the picture.:cool2: