How big is a big channel?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by One Legged Josh, Jul 1, 2008.

1. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Im new to the site and am really enjoying myself. Thanks for all the helpful posts.
    Question; What is the biggest channel you guys have seen? I know the Ohio record is 37 pounds. But what is a really huge channel?
    The reason i am asking is I went to a paylake a couple of years ago with my wife and the guy told us they had just released some huge channels.
    Before the end of the night I had caught 2 over 12 pounds and my PB 20.8 pounder! Where did he find these fish?
    On a side note I have not been back to a paylake since. It just wasnt the same as hunting for and finding my own monsters.
    Thanks for your time!

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My biggest channel is 14-lbs and I consider that a huge fish for ohio.

3. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    All dependsd on where you live. Hey in North Carolina we have big blues and big flatties but our state record is a little over 18lbs. I think it depends on the area you live in.:wink:

4. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    my biggest is 12,but there are a lot bigger out there than that.

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the site Josh! In Ohio I would say it depends on the area you are fishing. I know on some farm ponds around me 12-15lbs are common. I would guess if a person landed a 25lbs channel that would be a trophy catch in Ohio.

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    My biggest to date is 15lbs. I live in Des Moines Iowa and see bigger ones in photos some surpassing 25lbs but that is very rare, I consider a big channel here to weigh 10-12 lbs there are a abundance of this size fish here but I rarely see them get bigger than that.

7. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    My biggest channel is 27 lb and I catch several in the 15-25 range every year. I fish for the big ones and am working on the state record. One of these days.

8. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    In the tournaments we have, we have seen several over 11# and a few over 12#. The largest one so far that I have seen during a tournament was a little over 16#. Around here, anything over 10# is considered nice.

9. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks guys. My best (wild) channel was 13.5 pounds. But the owner saw the ones I caught and said there were bigger ones in there. Cool experience but not my bag. Thanks again.

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    My PB Channel Cat is 17#, which I consider a nice cat. Here in Nebraska I believe anything cat over 10 pounds is pretty nice size. A 20 pounder will really grab my attention. I'm still trying!!:wink:

11. KatfishKyle

KatfishKyle New Member

State:
    Wayne Co. Ohio
    My PB is a 15lb channel. I consider that a trophy.....A trophy is in the eye of the beholder! IMHO. But to the general catfishermen id say anything over 12-15lbs.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    20 pounds is a huge channel no matter where you are fishing. Congrats on that. Any channel over 10 pounds i would consider quite nice.

13. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    My Largest channel cat was 35 pounds with many between 16 and 25 pounds ... these were all caught in Florida ..... Garry-

14. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    id say any channel cat over 10 lbs is a darn nice fish for ohio !!

i caught one over 13 lbs about 10 yrs ago............that is my biggest one so far !!!

15. KyLeN

KyLeN New Member

State:
    ohio
    i caught a 15lber on hocking a few years back on livers

16. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    In my area of Kansas I would say anything above 15lbs. But there are a few lake where 20lb's is becoming more common. My PB is 23lb 12oz but I hope to break that before the end of the year.

17. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    what part of the hocking do you fish and where you from

18. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    ANYTHING OVER 10LB IS DECENT IN OHIO, WITH A HIGH TEEN-20+ a possibility in most waters.

19. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    is 37 pounds for a channel cat. For me anything over 10# is nice.:wink:

20. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA