How big have ya caught carp?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by jlburton, May 30, 2007.

1. jlburton

jlburton New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hey all just wondering how big carp you all have caught. my biggest one was a 19 1/2 pound mud carp, and it gave me the fight of my life. i have heard they get a lot bigger than that though. i went fishing yesterday and caught one 8 pounds, and one 12 pounds. all on dough balls.

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    My biggest is a 15 lb bighead that bit a 10/0 treble hook with his side.

3. jlburton

jlburton New Member

State:
    kentucky
    what exactly is a big head carp? is that a mud carp or what?

4. Bullseye017

Bullseye017 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    on Memorial day I caught a 27 lb grass carp on a piece of bread......it was 42 inches long..................i have never heard of a Mud Carp???? is it just a common carp?? and bighead carp are a type of Asian carp that are taking over in many rivers and are a nuisance species. They are very wierd looking and if you catch some, most DNR's want you to "exterminate them" if you know what I mean

5. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    The biggest carp that i've caught was a 38 inch 29 lb. common carp. It was a VERY fat fish!!! I caught it on 8lb. test, and fought it for 25 mins.

6. mcdo2137

mcdo2137 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Caught some 15-18 pounders several of them.......this past weekend there were so many carp spawning on the bank it scared me when I pulled up to the ramp to put my boat in. I could literally hear hundreds of them all around me flopping and cutting up in the grass that surrounds the river here.

7. bobbabouy

bobbabouy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    2 years ago I caught one that went 34#. The same day I hooked one that I couldn't turn after about a 10 minute fight. Never did get a look at him, but he was a heavy fish. Had my drag set to where it could barely be pulled and that fish pulled out about 60' of extra line before the hook must have ripped his lip and came loose. I was using a 6'6" MH Ugly Stick with an Abu 6600 with 30# test. It is the largest fish I have hooked to date. I wish I could have gotten a look at that one.:confused2:

8. jlburton

jlburton New Member

State:
    kentucky
    here in ky i guess it is a common carp, im just used to calling them mud carp.

9. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    i cuaght a 7lb carp and a 14lb buffalo does that count as a carp lol

10. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    22 lb grass carp. it attacked my float and got the hook in its mouth when i was fishin for gills. threw it right back.

11. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Low 60s with archery
    High 40s-low 50s with Rod and Reel

Kevin, a buffalo is actually a sucker. Has carp like habits, but different fish altogether.
    Will

12. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    12lb common released safely to fight again another day. Working on a 20+!

13. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    A small carp on liver and was on a trotline. I cut it up for bait

14. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Ok guys:

I live in the UK & the biggest carp caught here was a 64 pounder about 3 years ago. The best place to go in Europe for them is FRANCE, (64's are common over there), but having said THAT the world record was pulled out of a gravel-pit in Germany about 3 months ago & it weighed 85lbs. On stillwaters, I STRONGLY recommend that you try floating BREAD in the summer months for some unbelievable surface takes.

Hope I've been of some help.

Tight Lines & Good Luck.

15. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    28# common carp is my biggest with alot of 20-25#'s.

16. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    My biggest is a 25 # carp that I caught while fishing for channels with chicken liver.

17. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I have caught a 44 lb grass carp, and a 32 lb common carp. And a whopper 40+ buffalo:big_smile:

18. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    all carp species are suckers to tho arent they? i always thought a buffalo was a kind of carp that just got really big. correct me if im wrong so im not making a fool of myself sayin a buffalo is a kind of carp lol

19. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I caught a few over 20 love to fish for them while I wait for the big cats to bite. Like to use the old peanut butter dough ball with a little vanilla in it works great.

20. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    This past December I caught a 34# common carp in the New river in VA. It hit a nightcrawler while fishing for cats.:big_smile: