How big do you think Ohio Flathead Catfish get?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Joey6500, Mar 31, 2009.

How big do you think Ohio Flatheads get???

1. 70+

2. 80+

3. 90+

4. 100+??????

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think there is an 80 lber swimmin around somewhere but I don't think they'd get much bigger than that

Hope I'm wrong though!!!

2. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, Back in the 1990's They did some work on the bridge foundations here. They hired 2 diving crews and then had to hire even a 3rd ! Why ?
    Because the first 2 crews said they saw catfish the size of a VW beetles that could swallow a man whole ! :crazy:
    They quit on the spot and refused to go back in the water. :smile2: It was big news and was the talk of the news pappers and just about everyone here where I live. Now I don't think they are the size of a car but If I was one of those divers and was in the muddy,dark Ohio and saw a 100pd Flathead swiming at me, well I'm sure it would scare the living **** right out of me ! :eek:oooh:

At first though it was all made up crap. :confused2:

Then when they hired the 2nd crew and they said the same thing as well and quit, Well that leads me to believe there are some monster cats down there. :wink:
    Matt AKA DESODE

3. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Imagine being a little guy say like 4ft 6 at the bottom of pikes island dam and having this 123pd Flathead swim at you ! :smile2:
    Matt AKA DESODE

Attached Files:

4. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've heard that same story about a dozen other rivers and a dozen other lakes:confused2:

5. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    ya, that story goes for kansas too. Except it was the army corp of engineers who got scared.

6. Capt.mike jr

Capt.mike jr New Member

State:
    ohio
    lmao the picture says 2:20am and its daylight outside i got some good bullshit stories too.

7. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    what picture are you refering to?

8. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i absolutely believe that any river in ohio that holds catfish has the potential to hold a world record for that specific species. i think there could very well be 100+ pounders somewhere in the GMR

9. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm assuming your refering to the time posted on the picture. Thats just the time that I cut and pasted the picture. As far as I know that is the current world record Flathead caught in 1998. If there is anyone that knows that is not the current world record Flathead,then please fill us in.
    http://www.santeecoopercats.net/records-world.html

Matt AKA DESODE

10. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats the world record alright.I think the story behind it is BS but its the record

11. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    I hope you are right buddy, catch ya and it at the fishing hole sometime soon I hope! I am still waiting on my first 40 plus pounder...maybe this season??????

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    We get a few reports every year about 70+ lb flats on the muskingum. Never actually seen one of these fish but I have seen 50 and 60 range fish and 70 or 80 or 90 is only a couple 5lb carp meals away. 100? There is one or two swimming around here somewhere, which pool, I have no clue. That's why I try to fish them all.

13. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    same here at the emsworth dam on the ohio .

14. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    We don't have any big ones here in the Maumee, only little 10-20 lbers. :smile2: Best to stay down southern Ohio and fish there.

15. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Ohio is a great state for flatheads and I believe there are 100 pound plus fish to be caught but they will be in very heavy structure and good luck getting that fish out of it! Lets not forget that the Ohio river is going to hold some huge flatheads!

16. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I couldn't agree more. Seriously a zebco 33 with 8lb test line. I bet it was caught on a jug, limb or trotline.

17. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    On the big river systems Id say there are easily fish going over 150# for blues or flats. You got to have a big setup to bring these cats in and alot of people that catfish dont have the setup to bring them in. Ive seen flats 70# plus in the Gila river in Arizona that is very shallow and hardly over your head n any place where I was at but, it was loaded with flats. I would say Ohio has cats over 200#. I hooked into a fish three years ago that I couldnt do anything with but chase it around with the trolling motor there are monsters out there. Just my opinion!

18. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    There was a story in field and stream about a kayaker only the second or third every recorded that has hooked into a Marlin while kayaking. The story I am talkin about was out of Alaska. The guy had a Marlin on while kayaking with 20# test line and the marlin went over 300#. He had the fish on for over 5 hour until he tightened down the drag and let the fish fight another day. I doubt the flathead story is true, I believe he would have needed a little thicker line and a very open area with no snags. But crazy things happen. I believe you should have to take a lie detector test or something for a world record.

19. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Why not? a 100lb. flattie is definativly not out of the realm of possibility, there's alot of water out there!:eek:oooh:

20. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Im going to say 100+