How big do the catfish get down there in Pennsylvania?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by mrhookset, Nov 28, 2006.

1. mrhookset

mrhookset New Member

State:
    New York
    Hey guys I was just curious about what kind of cattys you guys are catching and how big they get. I fish a lot up here in New York and get a lot of nice channels cats out of the Hudson river and lake champlain. My biggest channel was about 20lbs out of south bay and I have had a lot of others from 10lbs to 17lbs all caught mainly on fresh chicken livers. I would just like to know where the flat heads are and when can I catch them. I would mabey even be willing to drive down sometime just to go fishing for them. The cat in my avatar is about 13lbs nice pic huh. :smile2:
    Well just thought i would ask. I would apreciate any feed back.

Thanks for reading,
    Frank (aka mrhookset)

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    well i fish lake arthur and its mostly channel cats but theres a lot of flatheads on the allegheny. someone will chime in here pretty soon and help ya out a little more.

3. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    I live in NC and we have big cats, Blues and Flatheads here in NC and SC. 20-30 lbs are common and are caught in many lakes and rivers here. and its not uncommon to see a 40-60 pounder comming from lake Norman or Badin lake here in NC. Go south to santee cooper Lakes in SC and maybe another 100+ world record blue or flathead. If you get a chance to come down this way next spring look me up and i will put you on some big cat.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
  5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Frank - The Flathead Catfish are native only to the western part of Pa, primarily the 3 river system of Allegheny, Ohio & Mon. However in recent years they are turning up on the other side of the state (not always welcomed by some folks). Browse through the archives on here as there are tons of reports on Flathead fishing!

6. setup1

setup1 New Member

State:
    Pa
    Flatheads are getting bigger each year in the Susquehanna . Personal best so far was this year 37" 19 lbs

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Frank,

I would say Philadelphia Schuykill River would be the closest to you. New York City is onlt 2 hours away. Like Pennsylvaniacatchaser said the native to western PA, but here in eastern PA, someone years ago "accidently" stocked them here. My 2006 PB is 32lbs 8 oz in my avatar.

The story goes, the PA Boat and Fish Commission wanted to stock bullheads, but the the stock was contaminated with a number of baby flatheads in it. Now years later, they terrorize the Schuykill River.

Good Luck

8. mrhookset

mrhookset New Member

State:
    New York

Thats a huge catty for up here my way. I have caught some big channels only up to about 20lbs though. Not to complain thats still a nice fish. My freind caught one out of the hudson river that was 42 inch long and weighed 27lbs. I seen the picture and I almost think it looked like a flathead. Would it be possible that there was a flathead in the Hudson river. Anyway thanks for posting the thread.

mrhookset

9. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I try to do what he does, fish a lot... though he knows a lot of good stuff as I read from his posts.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Frank,

Anything is possible!!!!! Flatheads can be in any river. They are very adaptable to most rivers as proven in other states like Arizona, California, Mexico, Idaho, Wyoming, N. Carolina, Georgia, Florida ect. If they are in the Hudson, you will be able to hunt for one of the most unique fishes in North America. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Thanks for the back-up Serb!!