How big bait do you use

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by racer5m5, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Flat Top

Flat Top Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    I use small bait...I catch small fish. I would like to catch big fish, but, they scare me!!!!:eek1:

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Dang wesley that mullet looks good..you need to bring some and throw them around tawakoni when it gets cold

3. Flat Top

Flat Top Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    smoked mullet,,,yummy!

4. Indianaflatheadhunter

Indianaflatheadhunter Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jr Reynolds
    I like 8/0 circle hooks

5. Steve H

Steve H Active Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steven
    Caught a 20lb flathead a few years ago that ate a 3lb channel cat that I was reeling in one night. By the time I got it to the boat the channel was deep in his stomach and only the tail was sticking out. I use hand size baits at a minimum on the ms river...often bigger...pound or more!

6. SPAZ182

SPAZ182 Active Member

State:
    IL
    Name:
    Chad
    I am a believer! I think the only reason the 200lb cat hasn't been caught is because people aren't throwing monster baits. Seriously, a 100lb+ cat can eat a 20lb bait with little effort. I've caught 10lb channel cats on 1lb+ baits. Heck, I've landed 3lb flatties on nearly 1lb baits. There are loads of videos of guys getting flatties hitting cats that are already hooked on baits.

As far as I'm concerned supersizing baits is just eliminating smaller bites...

That being said, every time I have thrown anything in the 2lb+ range I've come up blank...

Peace,
    Chad :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2020
    JHH and Trophy Flathead Hunter like this.
  7. tbarnby

tbarnby New Member

State:
    Missouri (LoZ/Truman Region)
    Name:
    Tim
    Basically, whatever I can get in my cast net. I've been fishing with my daughters lately. They both wanted to learn to catfish. So we go to a few coves, cast the net a few times...maybe hit a few docks, and use what we catch for bait. Usually bluegill and shad, maybe 7". If bait is scarce, I cut it up and give my daughters the heads. Toss em on a 9/0 circle hook below a carolina rig, and vertical drift the edges of a river channel. The girls (12 and 14 now) love it when a catfish about rips their arms out of the sockets. :) On occasion, I'll put a Drum on (maybe 10-11") as bait, and see what happens. The big drum even produce some smaller, maybe 7-8 lb fish. It's all good fun!

8. 1gr8bldr

1gr8bldr Well-Known Member

State:
    north carolina
    Name:
    Marty
    Sometimes... 20200718_185900_resized.jpg

Steve H likes this.
  9. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    If you normally fish with chicken liver and someone hand you a 3 inch piece if cut stop, it seems huge. If your used to fishing grown gills and you get handed a night crawler, you think "Where's the Beef. It is all relative. Try different baits and different sizes.

If your wanting more fish, use smaller baits but you will probably not get a lot of huge fish. But a few.

If you use huge baits, you will most likely go long periods without catching but when you do it is a good chance it will be a bug fish.

Then there are the nibblers. lots of pecking and you reel in an empty shell.

Just estimates but if you learn what fish are in the waters you fish and experiment a little you will figure out what makes you happy.

Herbhome and eastforker like this.
  10. Chumbucket101

Chumbucket101 Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Gabe
  11. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name: