How big a fish will a noodle hold???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by psg2628, Jul 10, 2007.

1. psg2628

psg2628 New Member

State:
    Austin, Texas
    I have some jugs made with 12" of swimming noodles on 24" of 1/2" PVC pipe. When we set them the first time, something had taken one of the jugs about 300 yards away, as well as held it under water for what I would guess to be at least 4 hours. My question is, how can I tell how big the fish was that I lost????

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Monte,it can be any size you want it to be. I know that all of the ones that I have lost over the years have been monsters! lol:big_smile::eek:oooh::smile2::wink:

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    You can't tell. A 10 lb fish can do some weird things to a jug. On the other hand, we caught a 30 lb blue on a jug and he barely took it under, though it may have been that he had been fighting it for some time before we ran the jug.

4. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    I have some noodle jugs like that and a 20 to 30 LB fish can hold it under for 30 min or so. Go get you the bigger noodles and put about 20" on your PVC But as far as how big of a fish you lost????? How deep was the water? Was the water moving fast? is there rocks/trees Ect.... Good luck to ya!!

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i use half a noodle for each of my jugs. Caught a couple around 20lbs and they were not even half under when the fish pulled against them.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I used 1 inch pvc and 19 inches of yellow noodle. We lost one a few weeks ago at night and anytime I've lost a jug it was a 30 lber. minimum:smile2:.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'll bet you found it in the last place you looked too! lol:smile2:

8. mwallace61

mwallace61 New Member

State:
    Huntsville,Alabama
    Check your local building supply places. Those that sell the Dow Blue board sheathing will probably give you the blueboard "crossouts" that come on the bundles. These make great jugs. I poke a hole in one end and glue a piece of pvc in the hole. When you have a fish on they stand up nicely. They are a much more dense foam, so you can get away with a smaller length to hole up a bigger fish.

Mike

9. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    I use a more commercial grade of foam like Mike uses. I have seen a 10lber only take it under for a few seconds. My foam is only 12" long but has a diameter like 4".