how bad is it?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by massa_jorge, Aug 23, 2009.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well i let this yahoo today shoot my bow. i know, shouldn't have done it. i was tryin to be neighborly. well this bad dude couldn't pull it back, knocked the nock off, and dry fired it all at once (how the hell did that happen!?), breaking the front of the peep and the cable guard. it's the piece that slides along the actual guard, not the rod that comes out from the bow. the peep is an easy fix, but what do cable guards run? i can't get ahold of the pro shop till tomorrow, so i wanted to ask yall if it's something i can fix myself or should i take it to the shop. thanks.

2. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    What kind of bow is it? If it is a plastic cable slide, it is really cheap to fix and you won't need someone to put it in a bow press, but some of them require a bow press to put back on. That really sucks man, but I know how it feels because I let one of my friends shoot my bow once and he dryfired it too. You were just being a nice guy. You're just lucky that season hasn't started yet.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my bow is a browning tornado. the slide is plastic too. i was looking online and the slides run from 5-20 dollars. i guess it could have been worse. i will call the pro shop later on today and see if they need to put the bow in the press or not. i was also reading some stuff about how some slides are quieter than others, don't know how true that is. my bow is already pretty quiet, but it can never be too quiet.

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So are you paying for this or is your neighbor?

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    oh i will be paying for it bud. he seemed interested and i let him shoot it, i mean break it. ultimately the responsibility is on me, i could have just said no and been done with it. now i will tell folks where they can buy one, instead of putting my stuff out of commission. i shoot almost every day of the year to get ready to put food on the table, not to educate the public.

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't know if I would let someone shoot my baby. Well someone that has never shot one before anyways. I did let my hunting partner fire some arrows through it.

7. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I feel your pain in a different way.

Let one of my retired Army buds take my 4 wheeler for a quick spin down to the end of the dirt road.

He went down, and put it head first in a deep ditch.

Damage here and there, he got scraped up and bruised.

He said get it fixed and send him the bill.

I stalled around doing other stuff and called him a week later.

No answer.

Shot him an e-mail the next day, and finally made contact.

He went back to Saudi Arabia doing contract work..

I told him the damage wasnt going to be that much, no need for another year in the desert.. :smile2:

He is loaded rich also, what made it even funnier.

I should have been worried when I was explaining the controls to him and he said, "Boy, you talking to a 3 time War Veteran".... :smile2:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    You made the first major screw up in Archery!! Letting someone else less experienced to shoot your bow!! Never and I mean never let someone shoot your bow, that has less experience. Different draw lenght, poundage your bow is set at. Peep sight alignment will be different. Listen to me. Take the bow to a pro shop!! There can be cracks in the limbs, cams can be off now, cable wear, string wear and the such. Trying to fix this yourself, wouldn't be recommened by me!! Safety first!! Have the bow inspected by a Pro Shop and make sure it can be fixed, so there will be no problems in the future!!

Hope you learned you lesson Jordan!!

9. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
  10. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I agree with Mark. Just because you cant see it doesnt mean it isnt there. A hairline fracture in the limb is a timebomb waiting to happen. Its warm (ok hot) right now but if you go to draw it on a cold morning it could crack on you. That is no fun at all, Ive witnessed it happen because of the reason that youve just mentioned. Best to have them check it out when you get the new slide put on. As far as slides go, the teflon ones are the cats ass but theyre also the $20 ones you mentioned.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    got the bow checked out and it's good to go. we have an awesome archery shop that just opened up here luckily. bought a limbsaver slide and put it on. i didn't know something like that could make the bow shoot smoother, but it sure does! i am not sure what other brands there are for vibration control, but i will stick with limbsaver. i also have the limb dampners and the s-coil stabilizer on my bow. i am happy as could be to get my baby back better than ever! thanks to all for the input in pointing me in the right direction. bring on bow season!

12. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I am in 100% agreement with Mark and Justin. Glad to hear that you took it to a proshop and had them give it a look. One dryfire might not do anything to the bow if it's a new one. But then again it might ruin it. There is alot of power put back into the limbs when there is no arrow to absorb the stored energy. Glad to hear that everything looks good bro!

Some archery shops that I know of....you dry fire their bow...YOU JUST BOUGHT IT!

With time you will learn to see small cracks, wear on your string and cable, missing c clips, odd noises, dings on your cams and so on. It's just like a car. If you take care of it, it will give you a lifetime of use.

13. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Glad to hear all is well Jordon. Now that everythings ok its almost time to get out there and start doin some population control.

14. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    glad you got her fixed up. You gonna let him shoot it again?:smile2:

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if he wants to shell out the bucks and get his own bow and equipment, he's welcome to shoot my target. that's about as far as i will go! a buddy of mine got a bow today, a mission x3 with the fall away rest, all the goodies. that's an "economy priced" bow that set him back $600. it's too much to replace for me, and so many differences; only i will shoot my baby from now on!

16. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I believe the mission is supposed to be a cheaper version of the mathews. If Im thinking right, its made by mathews. I guess they figure they can draw in more sales if they offer a bow thats $200-$300 cheaper than the real McCoy.

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    yeah, it's all about money. but i will say this- that x3 is very accurate, and my bud is really taking to archery, so it's all good. we don't care what name is on our equpment as long as it puts food on our tables. that is the goal. ensuring that hunting stays in our bloodline, being out in the wild, having a good time all take a back seat to that one goal.

18. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    During a recent move to a home I bought access was gained to my PSE Dream Season bow and someone dry fired it. I wish I knew who the culprit was. The string blew up and the cable slide was missing. The bow shop checked out the limbs and riser and added a new Winner's Choice bow string and a cable slide. Total cost was $120.00 but it could have been a lot worse.