How are you guys catching Asian Carp?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by scolba, Aug 7, 2009.

1. scolba

scolba New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Guys,

Goin out tonight and was wondering, how are you guys catching the asian carp? Wantin to give em a try for bait... Just driving around till they jump in the boat? lol...surely not. :smile2:

Or are you just catching them in your cast nets? Sadly, that is one thing i need to get yet. I have a seine and a umbrella net, but no cast net. Not sure I'm smart enough to use one even if i had it...lol

Any help would be appreciated!

Scott

2. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have seen people drive around to get them to jump and then hit them with a baseball bat. This probably would not work if you want to use them as live bait... but cut. And I bet it would be fun

3. catma

catma New Member

State:
    iowa
    u cant catch them on bait thay only eat allgie u have to snag them there just like spoonbill hope this helps good luck

4. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    Either go to a swirling eddie where the scum of the river forms a pool on top and they are usually eating that or like others say if you got a boat drive as close as possible to the shore on a river bend or break and they will definately jump in the boat within the first couple tries. Using these for cut bait have proven way better results for the bigger cats. Let me know how it goes and good luck bait fishing and fishing all together!:big_smile: I think this asian carp for bait is getting more popular!

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    baseball bat sound slike so much fun !!! maybe...unless a 40 hits you in the chest

6. beagle777

beagle777 New Member

State:
    Il
    For the best results get your boat going just fast enough to wallow and make big waves,and they will jump right in with you.Watch out as much as you can and be ready to duck,dodge and get the ones in the boat under control as soon as possible to limit damage to equipment.

7. scolba

scolba New Member

State:
    Illinois
    hahaha...sweet!! gonna be an interesting night for sure! :big_smile:

Thanks a lot for all the tips guys!

8. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Learned the hard way, you definitely don't want to try a dip net while they're jumping cause they'll knock you out of the boat:smile2::smile2: Stay safe and good luck!!!:wink:

9. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    some people are actually using a bow and arrow - either way sounds like fun - they are pretty much good for nothing...been hit in the head too many times on the Illinios.....imagine that!!:crazy:

10. scolba

scolba New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Holy carp! Ha. ThAt was freakin fun!!! It was just as easy as just driving around!!! I'm under the dam right now (yay for inet phones!) waiting for my first bite! Thanks again guys!!

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just thread 4 or 5 plankton on a hook... works pretty good:wink:

12. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    LOL, this is fun but kinda not kosher with the bunny cops. Get into a shallower area, gun the boat and blast'em with your favorite skeet/birdgun when they jump,lol. Low brass no.6's work good in 20's and 12's and are about $4 at our local wally's. Better then a dove hunt at heating up the gun barrel!

13. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    illinois springfield area
    my 15year old caught several small ones bout a pound at the sanganois conservation area in a ditch while i was bullhead fishin he got them to take topwater cricket lure, and then on corn till they got spooky, he caught 10 or so, all asian, raccoons ate good that night!! tried em 4 cutbait and all he caught were dogfish-bowfin

14. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    :smile2: Thats mostly how we get those critters is when they go in a jump frenzy!

15. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    a baseball bat would be fun, and the bow would be funner, but i hate them things, and i think a shotgun would be great, or if your frustrated use a crowbar, or a machete, then half your bait is already cut:tounge_out:,, i think i gotta try that now

16. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I usually either get them by using a small top water lure or I snag them. But let me tell me you from experience, the dnr boys don't like it when you shoot them on the fly. I guess they have a point about a stray bullet hitting someone on the shore or hitting another boater.

17. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree with that... any fool doing that oughta be locked up for a day or two.

18. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Shotguns work good for that reason.

19. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    :embarassed::embarassed: I'm sorry and I did learn my lesson. :embarassed::embarassed:

20. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Oops lol...