How are the catfish biting in Kentucky?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by brinley45cal, Apr 18, 2006.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Just wanderin how the fishing is going with my kentucky bros.Its not been good here at all,just seems like there not biting half as good as they were by this time last year.not real sure what the problem is any ideas?

2. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    There not biting worth a flip here in Louisville. I don't know what is going on...

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Guys, I have been burning them up. Mostly channels with a blue and flathead in the mix once in a while. I have been fishing the banks on the sunny days and they seem to bite pretty good. Look for water under twenty feet. I haven't caught a fish deep for a while now. Also it seems they prefer cut bait over whole. I have been using shad, but if you have fresh skippies thay would be better.Most of the cats that I have been getting have been small (under ten pounds), but the bite is fast and furious. Good luck. Vern

4. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    where have you been fishing at?

5. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    The river is rising here in Woodford co. today and I went up the river to the mouth of a creek. I was using quarter size bluegills and caught a few flatheads. I am going now to get some hand size gills and see if I can catch some bigger flats.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    i've fished at greenbo lake,a cpl small farm ponds and am yet to catch my first catfish of the year.i had a cpl good bites at greenbo but let up before i could get my pole.i had one break my line this morning at a GC pond,so i will be going back after it.

7. kycomphers

kycomphers New Member

State:
    kentucky
    has anyone fished herrington yet this year?

8. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    im getting littler ones 10 and 15 pounders

9. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Caught a few channel cats, above the hot hole at Paradise on the Green River, Sunday morning - weather kept changing - first a sprinkle of rain, then a thunderstorm, then hail, sunshine for a while, then more heavy rain and hail mixed, then sun for the remainder of the day. If the fish are biting, I really don't care what the weather is like. By the way, we used a variety of baits, but the only thing that attracted the cats was DK punch bait. Good stuff.

10. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Tanner, all the fish that I mentioned catching came out of the Ohio River between Louisville and Cincy. Vern

11. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have not caught enough to brag about just a few, but then again they always seem to grow with each story:)

12. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The fishing was doing very well until we got the high waters on the Ohio River then it slacked way off.

Places like the Green river thats not up alot seem to be having good numbers of blues coming out of them using cut skipjack, Flatheads in the Green river are no show so far, I have been fishing it for almost two weeks now and not caught one flathead, Last night may have been the first hit from one but when I picked the rod up and locked it down the fish dropped it.

I spoke with a couple of Jug fishermen and limb line people last night on the Green River and they advised me that they have not caught one flathead yet this year, they stopped to see if I had caught any, last year they said they did real well off of the spring flats. Water temp in the Green right now is running about 67-69* so they should be going nuts on that river. Maybe I should go buy the clonk ..LMAO

13. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Eric, you need to hit the Ohio. My buddy and I went out for four hours tonight and I landed eight cats. Four blues between five and twelve pounds, three channels between three and five pounds and a 15 lb flathead. All caught on cut shad. Fishing right along the bank. We were anchored sideways in twenty-four feet of water along a rock bank. My buddy was on the end towards the middle of the river and never caught a thing. He did have a few hits that he missed, but I had more missed opportunities than him and the eight cats. Vern

14. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    man vern, it seems like u always take the good water. I bet the day ur buddy caught two 50's u just thought he was in the bad water, lol.
    p.s. Can't wait to kick ur butt in a tournement! cya in a couple weeks!

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    max ,verns still waitin fer you to kick his but in a tourny lol i told you he cant be beat . my wife says he catches fish cause he smells like fish lol i say its cause he fishes so much that his # is up all the time

16. Katwrangler

Katwrangler New Member

State:
    Bonnieville,Kentucky
    Another "new man' checking in...Man, am I ever glad I found this list.. better late , than never.So far, it's been a wealth of valuable information.

A little about the ole Katwrangler..I live in Central Ky, between the Green,and Nolin rivers.. due to work and life issue, i hven't had a rod in my hanad in almost 5 years!! I retired from Ft. Knox,Ky the first week fo april ,and seems that's all i have done.. chased kats since then! i sued to be a fan of the Run and Gun Bass scene, sold my aluminum bassin tub about 7 years ago , lets just say my life choice is getting back to the roots of my early fishing expirences fishing for Kats around my home town of Cincinnati, and in the Ky River, Dewey Lake,Kenetucky Lake, Ohio river, and various sloughs and bays in the Warsaw/Carloton area as well as those memorable farm ponds in Owen and Carol county.
    I'm 56, got a lot to learn ,I certainly glad to see the sport has progressed to awareness of structure, cover, and habits of our worthy prey..I'm thinking that sometime in the future, a "Katting Boat" will be in my future..
    Thanx for this oppurtunity. folks...
    Rich..alias..Katwrangler..Bonnieville,Promised Land.

17. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Rich, let me be the first to welcome you to the BOC. You have just found digital catfish gold just as the screen tells you. In the year or two that I have been on the BOC I have went from catching an occassional twenty pound fish, to catching thirty fourty and fifty pounders. I live in the small town of Bedford and if you know anything about the Carrollton area then I'm sure you know where that is. Also my father lives fairly close to you in Hardinsprings on the Rough River. If you ever want to get together and do some fishing let me know and maybe we can get out on the Ohio up here near some of your okd stomping ground. Vern

18. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    it has been the best spring ever. if you dont believe me just ask our bro cattoo. that little s.o.b. has been wearing me out. im going out on a boat tomorrow so maybe i can catch up, he has to stay at home with the ball and chain.

19. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive been catching some smaller channel cats and a few mud cats here where i live nothing to big but its early still yet.

20. Katwrangler

Katwrangler New Member

State:
    Bonnieville,Kentucky
    Vernon,thanx for the welcome, I know Bedfore, we have a close aquaintence there. My cuz lives at Glencoe, we fished together quite a bit growing up around Owen countywhere my Dad's family is from, he and i are hitting some of the old spots this summer, Steel's Bottom just north of Warsaw,Markland,Eagle Creek,(MillPond)and several places he has discovered.
    I haven't dfished Rough that much, only while bass fishing with a bud who thought it ws the promised land! Nolin got most of my lake fishing, with Barren a close second. No wIlive between Green River,and Nolin...I flip a coin when i get in the car to see where to go!
    Thanx again...