How and where to fish in the winter?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by BigCATDADDY01, Jan 1, 2008.

1. BigCATDADDY01

BigCATDADDY01 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hello everybody, I was wondering:confused2: about catfishing the Ohio River around Cannelton in the winter. I hear people talkin about catching fish in the winter but I have never tried. Is there a certain place, or a certain trick I need to try? any advice will help me. thank you .

2. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    you are in one of the best poles to fish for big cats best place to start looking is deep holes on the out side bends or in side bends deeper the better look for strucure in these deep hole an your sure to find some nice cats the indiana an ky state record was cought just undedr the canneltion bridge in the bend above it

3. BigCATDADDY01

BigCATDADDY01 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What do you think the best bait is for this time of year, and the best way to get that bait?

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    skipjacks are some of the best for winter time blues you need to find a hot water outlet from a power plant an what i use to catch them is i tie 3 white curly tail grubs on my line with some small weight an through it up in the hot water discharge an you should find some if they are there

5. BigCATDADDY01

BigCATDADDY01 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    In the stiff current of the Ohio right now how do you keep your bait on the bottom?

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Just go heavier on your weight. 8 oz and up is common on the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers, sometimes up to 16 oz or more. A No-Roll works well rigged up Carolina style or a 3-way drop with heavy Bank Sinkers.:0a26:

You'll find that making your own will save you a ton of money, there are a fine selection of molds made by the DO-IT Mold Company, they are good quality and relatively inexpensive (around $30.00 each). They pay for themselves quickly!