How and where to catch skipjack 101

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Springfield45, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Springfield45

Springfield45 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I live right outside of Owensboro. I am looking for some help as to how and where to catch skipjack. Thanks in advance!! :wink:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I can't help you out down that far but I get mine at the Greenup L&D in Greenup County KY. Thats a long drive for you and I'm sure others will point you in the right direction closer to you.
    Do a search here on a Sabiki Rig, thats the best and easiest way to catch them and they also love swift water especially right below a dam. Good Luck!!!
    Or also you can tie 2-3 curly tail jigs about a foot apart and catch them that way. I'm not sure on how many you can have in KY because I get all mine on the OH side and the regs are different there.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This time of year the skips can be caught at any fast moving piece of water that is of a different temperature than the main body. That means factories, steam plants, or dams. Even tributaries could do you well. I use a series of 2-3 lead head jigs (white or green).

4. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Try a smoking fast retrieve. Seems to work the best for me.

5. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    They can be caught at Newburgh,Cannelton,sometimes you can catch them at the Brickyard in Owensboro.I've caught them on jigs and also on skipjack rigs [they sell them at Frank Miller] white,pink and orange jigs.I tie 3 jigs about 6 to 8 inches apart works pretty good.Hope this helps and good luck catching. Aaron :smile2::smile2:

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    right now bait is getting hard to find... metalman [winston] and a couple others tried to catch skips at cannelton damn this weekend and had no luck at all!!

7. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    I got some friday at Newburg Dam along the lock wall casting jigs in the fast water. Lots of small stripers too, a slower retrieve got the bites. I talked to a guy today on the wall he got 4 but really had to work for them, good luck hope this helps.

8. wildcatter

wildcatter New Member

State:
    Irvington, Ky
    I have been getting alot of skipjacks along rock walls using redworms and a bobber.Grandson has a blast:roll_eyes:

9. Springfield45

Springfield45 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks!!! I have been out of town for awhile and not on here to keep up with the replies! Thanks for the help guys!