How about this setup?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TA2D, May 24, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I am thinking of getting an Abu Garcia Ambassadeuer 6501 (Lefthanded model) and mounting it on a 6'6" Ugly Stik Big Game, spooled with 60-80lb braid.

Aaron

TA2D

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Sounds like a plan to me...maybe a little bit longer on the rod, but whatever works for you.

Happy Fishing.

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I don't plan on casting very far, maybe 50-60 ft. I met an old timer with this setup and he has lost more fish than I have caught, has a wierd way of hooking his bait... runs the hook from the mouth through the body and out the end of the tail!!

Aaron

TA2D

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Sounds like a great set up if you're not into long distance casting to me.Good Luck with it!!!

5. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    sounds like a good set up I have a 6500 on a big game rod works good for me

6. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Sounds like a good set up to me and I have hooked shad like that and it does work.I think when your fishing current it makes it look more life like.
    :big_smile:

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i fish that way 7k abu 6'ugly sticks great for the boat and have also riged my bait that way catches fish live shad hooked dead they blead out good and still look live after 30min without a bite i change bait and recast to new location

8. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Sounds like a good set up to me, easy to use in a boat too.
    I also rig shad up this way, except I pinch off the tail to add more scent to the bait.

9. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Sounds like you'll be rigged for some serious monsters! I sure hope you hook into one!

Good luck!

10. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I actually have two 6 1/2 Ugly Stick heavy action rods and have Abu 6000's mounted on them. Spooled with 25lb Big Game line. Works great. I also have two 7' MH Ugly Sticks and Abu 6000's mounted on them too. I actually like the 7' rods a little better than the 6 1/2 footers but all four are real tough and work great. You will not be disappointed with the set up.