How about the Sturdy Stik

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by o'boro cat hunter, Jan 25, 2009.

1. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    6 and 1/2 footer by Shakespeare,is this a good rod for drift fishing.Thanks Aaron

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    dont know but it sounds sturdy lol:wink: ok bad joke.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    It is a good, stout rod, and I own a couple, but for drift fishing, I prefer a 6-1/2 -8' rod, with either medium or medium-heavy actions. The sturdy stiks are pretty stiff, excellent for dragging the river blues and flatheads out of the timber with the drag locked down, but not quite suitable for drift fishing. Just my personal opinion, of course. :smile2:

4. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Aaron, I have 6 of the sturdy sticks on my boat. They are an awesome big river rod. I like to pair them with a Penn 209 or comparable baitcaster. I drift fish regular on the Ohio with them. The guides are fair quality, but the rest of the rod is great. Vern

5. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Glad to hear that, the Ohio is my home for the drift also.Thanks

6. reelworks

reelworks New Member

State:
    NJ
    They're good rods but I've seen a lot of guides break off, mostly from saltwater use here. They're probably great though for freshwater where corrosion isn't an issue.
    The guides on these are lower end aluminum oxide, which do hold up to braided line an all, but the light wire frames are fairly light duty for such a stout rod.

7. Vekta

Vekta New Member

State:
    CA
    I don't know about the new sturdy sticks. I have an older white, red, black one. I never thought it was stiff. Solid yes, stiff no. Maybe it's just old and flexed out. I've had mine for 14 years. I've smacked it on rocks, stepped on it, got it stuck in doors, shoved it accidentally into the ceiling, dropped stuff on it, it fell down a rocky bank a couple times to. Nothing ever broke on it. *shrugs* They're good rods.