How about preserving bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Gomer, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    I have been catching some shad and herring for bait in the tailrace over the last few weeks. I was wondering what is the best way to preserve them. Filay (spelling, went brain dead) them first and freeze them, or put them in salt and dry them out, or freeze them whole? Little Help Please ! :confused2: What DO You Think :roll_eyes:

2. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I put them in gallon zip lock freezer bags 2 or 3 whole fish per bag.According to there size. Good Luck

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I will freeze skipjack, but shad are used fresh. The shad are netted as they are needed and put on ice. Leftover shad goes to the turtles and seagulls.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've had some success with just freezing them in water, but the best way for me has been to dry them off with paper towels, place them in vacuum bags with a paper towel, and seal. Keeping them dry seems to help when I fish with them later. I don't freeze a lot of bait, but this works best for me when I do.

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    go to the archive section and click on south carolina lakes and res. and click on the third page...scroll down to post # 275...it is titled "freezin shad and perch"...it is about this very topic and has a lot of good info and suggestions on it.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would agree with this post. Vacumn Seal is the way to go.When the bait is thawed it is as fresh as when it was caught.:big_smile:

7. Travsher

Travsher New Member

State:
    Columbus indian
    I get chubs and shad and like they said, vacuum seal them whole. I don't put many in each bag so I can keep they frozen til I need them. Once they have been frozen they don't last long in your bait pale.