How about at least putting up a first name

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Bobpaul, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    As a member of the BOC for a few years, I've seen many people join up since we've moved to this new site that really don't want to get involved, just want to take as much information and get as much help as they can and will not give so much as a first name.

Nobody on this site will come to your door uninvited, but if invited to your house, gathering or just the chat room, you'll meet the best on the internet.

There are those that aren't worth the time of day. As much as it may be hard to believe, even I have been busted a few times and suspended :eek: .

So I say, if you want to be apart of the BOC, then do it. If you want to remain a stranger, then I've got no time for you.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Excellent, Bobpaul. I agree 100% about the BOC having the best folks on the net. I've seen some other forums, and some reactions between people, and I can understand a few of them not wanting anyone to know who they are, for fear of retaliation. I haven't seen that on this site. The few blowups I have seen have quickly subsided and apologies were made. I am a member of only a select few forums on the net, and I post my name on them all, because I do not mean to intentionally show disrespect to anyone, ever.
    I can understand if someone doesn't want to list their surname, but a first name and location are really helpful to know when you respond to someone's post.
    A lot of questions are asked on here, but when you don't even know the area where the person lives, it is very difficult to give a good answer.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i think he is rite too, Tommy. good post Bob and i'd like to thank you also. i have learned a few things from your answers to others posts and mine. thats a big part of my membership on here,learning and sharing what i have learned with other catmen.

have a great day all.

4. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    It may be that people are not wanting to give out a lot of info, is due to what could be learned from someone that would miss use the info. When I first joined on the old site I only put in what was required. Maybe with a little time to get to know the BOC they will add more info, I did.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I say participate as a full member. There are no half memberships or maybe memberships.
    Fill in the blanks. Real simple to do.

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I'm sure a lot of new folks are reticent to commit or get involved because they think (wrongly) that this is some kind of club for elite catfishers and that they have nothing to contribute. Nothing could be further from the truth. Everyone has something to offer. Even if you only started fishing yesterday you still have opinions to share and there is way more than fishing on this board. To all you new guys / gals who may be reading this I say come on in but please at least tell us who you are etc. You wouldn't go to someones house and not introduce yourself. If you are not prepared to tell me who you are I would not ask you in to my house. Feel free to ask questions but it's hard to give a person advice on a fishing question when you don't know where they live and that happens a lot. Don't be afraid of the chat room. Everyone was a stranger there the first time. Don't think it's just a bunch of experts talking high level esoteric catfish talk...it's just a bunch of regular folks hanging out. The only thing missing is the coffee pot.
    Maybe the answer to member identity is to make it a mandatory part of the signing up process. J.M.H.O...w

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Allrite Robert! I see your safety valve finally went off. LOL! Could not agree with ya more. Been sayin it for months in other threads.

Some good points made here by the other brothers also.

Winston,if I remember correctly ya used to have to put your name in in order to join. I like that idea very much.

8. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i agree, bob and mark. no reason to be a stranger here. plenty of good folks around this board, and giving a name is not a compromise to your safety.

i am more concerned about my safety from my neighbors than the internet :p

9. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    Well, I guess its time then that I get my picture up. Oh wait, there it is. I have all of my information set on here and finaly got the help from Josh to get it on the site. Thanks a million Josh

I hope my ugly mug doesn't break the monitor glass on your computer.

10. crossxsticks

crossxsticks Member

State:
    oklahoma
    ya know I haven't even thought about the name thing dosnt matter to me much eather way. , mine is in my profile I think and was in the old forum too, but I did google searched a question about 760 gun powder the other day and listed in it was a thread from this board where i and some others had made comments about 760 powder and reloading info between us boc folks I thaught, surprised me, How did that get there ? so i guess one needs to think about what they post because it may become public information , just a thought.
    Everett Mullin

11. crossxsticks

crossxsticks Member

State:
    oklahoma
    tried it again ,yep its still there google (reloading 760 powder) it is on the 4th page second from the top,

Everett Mullin

12. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Good job Bob! A couple of years ago I started a campain here on the BOC to put your location(town-state) in your signature - now it's done for you with this format!

I like to at least know where a guy is from when I talk to him or her -
    On this board as well as two railroad boards I subscribe to the most iritating thing is when you go to a profile and see no name or location - what do they have to hide?
    For personal reasons I do understand no name and that is why we have log in names but I believe it must be required to give a location - you can't communicate without a location - it makes a difference on how you answer or pose a question - people do and think differently arround this world -

As an example put your location (if not city and state) "along the Rock River" or "northwestern Illinois" or "Just off Lake Clinton IL" or In the Quad Cities" or - well you get the idea - You haven't given a town but people get the idea of where you come from -

If you can't give a location then just read the posts and we will leave you alone out there in??????????????????????????????????

13. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    When I first joined the BOC in 2004 I was apprehensive about providing too much information because I didn't know that this place is MUCH different than the other chatrooms and forums I have been a part of. There is a family atmosphere...and there are some very good people just like you and me that frequent this old site. I don't even go to any of those other sites anymore...this place feels like down home to me...and I'm comfortable with that. Perhaps when the newness wears off for some of the recent members...they will see that nobody's out to get them here.

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    There ya go bro...... good picture Big Nick!

15. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    i agree fully. This is a tight knit club. if you are not looking for that then this is probably not the place for you. Personnally, i hav given my name and info out to anyone who asks on this site.

-Brian

16. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    What happened? It was here and now its gone? Where did your recent post go Robert?

17. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Brian (Centralcalcat)..... Did you mention your nic names???? "Scout" and "Fish Talker. :p

18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    George, my safety valve came a little too loose, so my buddy Tim, capped it back up for me.

It was a good one though!

19. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    The BOC is made great by the quality of members that we have. It is nice to have a pic and name to go with the screen name. Everyone should have at least a pic and name on here to make it more personable.

Good post Bobpaul.

20. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I know. I got me a peak at it. LOL! From now on ya can just call me "flatcatadudeamiteeieio457980" LOL!