How about another winter lake trip

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ohio hilljack, Dec 30, 2008.

1. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    It is Tuesday night and I'm off till Monday. I'm thinking a trip to the Ohio for a big blue then a day at Rocky Fork and see if I can catch up with a big channel. That would be pretty sweet!! The lake will probaly give me some problems as I,m struggling to figure out these cold weather cats. Since I obviously have no life other than catfishing, thought I would try to work out some pregame strategies , get some ideas from the brotherhood, then report back on how everything goes . We busted through a inch of ice to get from the dock to the main lake last time and by Friday it looks like there will be more of the same, so first off I'm putting in on the other side of the lake. That will be the dam side so it will be the deepest water, should probably cruize through there and see if I can mark anything in the 30 to 40 foot water. I'm thinking if they are out there I may be able to bounce some shad tipped jigs and get one on ,will probably just bait the other pole and let it drag if they are on bottom . Any ideas on other methods. If none are marked here will probably checkout the channel going up the lake. That will make it on the shaded side that may make a difference but the water is 25 to 30 feet in the channel so I don't think it will. If I can get the boat going slow enough I will probably try to drift while trying to find the fish and then anchor down, and try and feed them. If the water is 35 to 37 degrees do you think it will do me any good to even try to drift fish. I understand that winter drifts have to be slow, but are you better off to just run the boat till you mark fish and just anchor? I don't think it will do me any good to go to the shallow end but I probably will just because curiosity kills me. The possibility exists I think that the warmer water from the past week has drawn some fish to the top end of the lake but even then by the weekend it should of dropped what couple degrees it could have gained. Any thoughts on the top end of the lake. If the temp is up a couple degrees I will drift the mouth for sure, but I'm not too hopeful. And if I still haven't brought him to the boat and given her a kiss before sending her back home, I guess I'll run the shallower side back down to the dam. It is really not that shallow in most places it is between 10 or 20 feet, with some cover I'll probably fish some of the deeper cover and rock ledges . Would like to mark some birds over bait and see whats under them. Last time out I had a really hard time catching shad, but are still up to try. Will take some froozen shad and skips just to see. Speaking of bait I'll really try to downsize and see if I have better luck, any of you winter fishermen using small bait. Now if none of this works out and I can't catch any fish I'll probably just sink the boat in the middle and swim back to the truck, well maybe not 35 degree water is pretty cold. As you can see I'm willing to try about any thing so shoot me ideas .I'll put them to the test and we will see how everything works out. I probably still won't have much of a life other than catfish, which will leave me lots of time to post how it all worked out.

2. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You say that like it is a bad thing :smile2:

3. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    We went to Rocky Fork today fished it for six hours without a single bite. We marked fish at several places couldn't get them to even sniff the hook. Was using frozen cut shad and thought it was probably the bait but caught some fresh shad and had no luck with it either. Most of the fish, shad included , we marked at 20 feet of water . We only marked fish in the deeper sections of the lake, most up by the dam where it is 40 feet.We tried to set right in on top of them and put the bait in front of there noses, but they musta had colds, they sure never smelled it. There was no way we could get a drift going slow enough though we tried a couple times. We learned what humble pie tasted like again, still don't like it:confused2:

4. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    Good luck next time rick

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Keep at it, you'll get the pattern figures out. Remember to keep that bait small in the winter.

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You know the right fish will make it all worth it, and it will come one of these days.