How a live well SHOULD Work!

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by amcclure, Sep 9, 2006.

1. amcclure

amcclure New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have 2 livewells in my boat. For some reason neither seems to keep fish alive for very long. I have a new atwood areator that feeds to both but water only trickles out, sometimes pressure changes. And I also heard that you shouldn't pump water in from the hot lake. I don't understand, any help would be appreciated.

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    most boats that i have seen have a pump for each live well. could it be that your pump is loosing prime or maybe not big enough to run both live wells. oxygen level is low in hot water when compared to cold water or should i say cold water holds it better than warm/hot. keeping shad a live in a livewell is all but out in warm weather also but in cold weather they will last a few hours in mine.

3. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    Sorry I can't help ya with the aerrator problem..but a tip for hot water in livewells..i put ice (from my cooler) in the livewell every so often and it really helps keep the bait alive. But not too much at once or at first or you will shock them. Good luck

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I freeze 1/2 gal empty milk jugs and put them in my cooler to help keep the water cooler. and add some shad keeper.

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Have you checked to see if a leaf or something has been sucked up in the pump? Take the screen off and look. I had the same problem and had trash in the impeller. Also I used a pvc cap with a small hold driled into it to make the water run faster. (Like putting your thumb over a garden hose) I might look at is the pump to small. Wells can only hold X amount of fish. Are you putting to many fish in each well?
    Bill

6. amcclure

amcclure New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the info, I don't really know what to try, i'll check the impeller for trash and maybe just try to run one livewell of the one aerator, but I know I'm not catching too many fish and putting in there:lol: Trust me, I wish that were the problem!haha