How 2 Make A Homemaid Catfish Jug!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by THE CATFISH HUNTER, Nov 23, 2006.

1. THE CATFISH HUNTER

THE CATFISH HUNTER New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I Went Fishing Several Times This Year With Some Other Fishermen And Noticed That They Were Using Fishing Jugs Bought At Bass Pro, Walmart ... Ect. Everytime I Went To One Of These Places They Were Always Sold-out, So I Had To Make My Own! Here Is How I Make Them, And I Think That You Like The Money You Will Save Doing It Yourself.

1. Buy A Childs Swiming Noodle
    2. Buy A Lenth Of 3/4 Pvc
    3. Buy Two 3/4 Pvc Tees
    4. Buy Some Pvc Glue
    5. (if You Are Doing Any Night Fishing Buy Some Reflective Tape For Trucks, It Will Help You Find The Jugs At Night! )

Start By Cutting The Noodle In 1'(foot) Lenths
    Then Cut The 3/4 Pvc Lenth In 14"(inches) Pieces
    Glue 1 Tee On The Pvc
    Slide On The Piece Of Noodle
    And Glue On The Other Tee
    (put Reflective Tape On Around The Center If Night Fishing)

tie Your Line (min 30 Lb.) Around One End Only Through The Tee !!!!!!

When You Use The Jugs, You Will Notice That The Jugs Will Stand Up And Slap The Water When There Is A Fish On.

ps: Some People Use 3 Or 4 Hooks On 18" Leaders Spaced 3' Apart On One Line With Thier Jugs.

now Thats Fishing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Randall,

Good advice and saves a few $$

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    nice idea! I will have to try this.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    In Texas, jugs must be white in freshwater, though I don't see where the whole jug has to be white. Some wrap white duct tape around the top of the noodle. As we are required to write our name, address, and placement date on the jug, the tape provides a convenient place to do so. Of course, the problem with buying the noodles at Wal-mart is that after sometime in September, they no longer carry them.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Sound like a good inexpensive plan

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Randall, shoot some pics of them and we'll add them to the library. Many different versions of these types of jugs, and yours will be a great addition. Thanks for sharing some very good info.

7. LOWEDOG

LOWEDOG New Member

State:
    alabama
    Nice idea, Im going to try that.

8. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge Randall, and welcome to the BOC. :big_smile:

9. catfishsolich

catfishsolich New Member

State:
    kentucky,metcalfe county
    i was driving and saw a half dozen of those noodles in a garbage can so i grabbed them to make jugs with. I was thinking of cutting 12" lengths and then shoving a bic pen through one end and then taking the ink part out out so the hollow white part was left through the foam and then i can run my line through it. if the smaller pen diameter pulls through the foam i'll defintely use the pvc.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Noodles make great jugs for use in limited areas, such as smaller lakes, coves, backwaters, etc., or if you stay really close to them at all times. When using them on large lakes or rivers, they sit so low in the water that it's difficult to see them. That's one reason that I use 2-liter soda jugs painted bright yellow. Another is that they cost even less than noodles. I put 3 or 4 ounces of clean gravel or bits of scrap lead inside each jug to make them self flagging. I cut a 3/4" slice off the end of a noodle, cut the hole large enough to fit over the cap of the jug, and glue it in place to make a place to stick my hooks for storage. Cost? The jugs are free. I can paint 20 jugs with a $1.00 can of spray paint, so that's a nickel a jug. Gluing the slice of foam noodle on the cap costs no more than a couple of cents. That's 7 cents a jug, before I add on the cost of line and hooks. I use a 16p or 20p nail for a weight because it's cheap and hangs up less than a regular lead weight. To store, I wrap the line around the neck of the jug, stick the hooks into the foam, and drop the nail inside the jug, then screw on the cap. Be sure to wind the line on in a clockwise direction so that attaching the cap tightens the line rather than loosening it.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Oops, I meant to post this picture of a jug out on the water. You have to look closely, but there is a jug out there, I promise.

Attached Files:

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Randall for sharing an excellent idea. Appreciated.

13. jug

jug New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i use the same set up with the noddles except i dont cap the end. just drill a hole through the noddle and pvc about 3inchs from the end and attach your line. i fish the middle of the river, have jugs up to 55ft deep. buy the bigger noddle and it cuts down on role up time. i can roll 55ft up in 15 to 20 seconds. also if you put your weight 16 or 18inchs above your hook it helps keep your hook from bouncing with the waves.

14. getbit

getbit New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    We dont even use the pvc, as it is the expensive part! We just tie the trot line around the noodle and pull it tight, it will sink down in the noodle it you get it tight enough