Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tryin 2 keep shad alive bank fishing somehow. is there any bait tanks out there or anything that works , that a guy could carry 2 the bank.? i hate having to cut my shad this time of year or wait for shad 2 come by me 2 rebait

· Registered
550 Posts
One of the daunting tasks of bank fishing! Its would be nice if you could keep your truck close enough to have a bait tank but one thing i have found that works kinda good is taking 4, 5 gallon buckets along. Put about 15 or so shad in two of them the other two use to keep fresh water in. Switch the shad back and forth every 5min or so in the begenning, until they are done mucking up the water, once they are done doing that just change the water everyonce in a while. A little air bubbles kit wouldn't hurt, and not sure how well this would work on a hot day but it works pretty well at night.

· Registered
4,943 Posts
Personally I either us a bait bucket that you can tie off and put back in the
water.That helps to keep fresh water flowing all the time through the bucket.
Or get you one of those small battery operated aerator from Wal- Mart.They work
well.and battery holds up pretty good.

· Registered
2,534 Posts
Use a 5 gallon bucket with 3/8'ths holes drilled in it all over. Put a rock in it and sink it in front of you with it tied off. You'll need to be able to catch them there and put them in the bucket immediately. They dont last long trying to travel from spot to spot. It's almost impossible to catch them somewhere and haul them to your fishing spot. An aerator will work with chubs and gills. But, shad emit volumes of ammonia when caught. They die fast in a bucket. Maybe if you had a stock tank in your truck that you could put them in until you get to your spot. then scoop them out into a bucket for the short trip to your fishin hole. Then immediately put them into the bucket with holes.

· Registered
857 Posts
When I want to keep them alive I put them in the small tank on my boat for a few minutes. Then I put them in my big 100 gallon tank and they stay good all night.

Well theres times I dont want to use the 100 gallon tank. My question is, I have a round net about 3 ft. tall that I can clamp on the side of the boat and the net will be in the water. Works great for crappie. If I catch some shad then put them in that net, which will be in the water, will the shad still puke up their stuff ? After a few minutes in that net Ill be putting them in my small livewell.

· Registered
857 Posts
I learned from a pretty smart member on here....cough cough...flatheadreaming....that if you add water softener salt to your water it helps......Well I tried it and it does help a lot.

I read somewhere to add a handful per 25 gallons.

· Registered
71 Posts
Hmmmmm. Being a sometime scientist, I have looked into the reason for this; the salt helps stop a process called osmoregulation. From what I have read so far, this requires the chloride ion, so water softener might not be the best thing. I will try to give a more definitive answer when, or if, I sober up.

· Registered
17 Posts
Bass pro carries shad keeper its just a bottle of chemicals you put in the water cut down on the ammonia. I catch about 30 of them thurs night and fish with thru sunday. The key is change water if it gets dirty they also sell foam off stuff really helps also. When I'm away from my truck I use a couple 5 gallon buckets with aerators. Wheb it gets warm out I will throw some ice in there seems they live longer colder than hot. When its sunny outside and hot its nearly impossible.

· Registered
4,060 Posts
Basically, your never gonna be able to keep shad alive long fishing on the bank....with out a lot of work/trips to the truck. If you do, its in the cooler months.

A net in the water may work in swifter rivers etc but in slacker water you will kill them because the temps are so much higher at the surface.

Salt, ya gotta use salt......period. Its 1 cup per 10 gallons of water. It must be NON-Iodine salt, like ya use for pools...$6 for a big bag at Wal-Mart. There are many reason for it, but one major one is because salted water holds more oxygen. With a aerator, your bubbles will be smaller after you add salt. The salt will not harm your bream, crappie or whatever other bait you throw in there.

Best bet is to carry down a container,,,10-20 gallon size if possible. Fill it where your fishing. Salt it and make sure it's melted, then treat it. Aerators work ok but circulation and scale filtration is the only true way...cant really do that off the bank with ease.

The other two things ya gotta work out is purging them in another bucket before you dump the in the bigger container. The other problem is keeping them cool. I kept mine at 65F the other night and they were rockin.....before long I'll have to start keeping them cool.

Foam off works great but NON Dairy powered coffee creamer is cheap and easy. Only use a tiny, tiny, pinch. In a few minutes the foam is gone.

Not sure if I helped any but these are the things I do to keep good healthy bait in the boat and off the bank.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ive considered buying a 30 gallon insulated shad tank and just packing it 2 the water , then catching my shad and filling it. sounds like work tho. do they make any 10 or 20 gallon insulated shad thanks? it would be nice below truman dam

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.