HOW 2 CATCH CREEK CHUBS?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by drpepper, Jun 25, 2009.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    How do you guys catch big creek chubs? hook and line? a seine? Castnet?
    please fill me in on a way to catch them dudes bait etc.

2. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    hey dp i have catch creek chubs and rod&reel same set up as catching gills

3. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    When I have time, I enjoy rod & reel for 'em also. Gold crappie hook and 1/4" piece of worm, cast out with no weight works very well around here, sometimes a bobber if I need to get it out further. When we feel like getting wet and muddy, we'll seine with a 20' by 4' weighted net and pick out the ones we want. In a good pool, half hour of fishing produces about 15-20 keepers, 5 minutes seining produces about the same amount with 50-60 smaller chubs. But most of the time I try to use r&r cause the kids helpin out. It takes a lot of water to keep them alive when it's hot out here though, so keep that in mind too if you want to keep them fresh. I'll put mine in a large cooler full of creek water until I get back to the house, then transfer water and fish to the livewell with a few gallon freezer bags of ice (sealed so they don't leak), and turn on the aerator on auto. I've kept them alive for several hours out of the water this way. As soon as I hit the lake or river, recirc comes on and they keep kicking all night. Just hard to net them out when you ad a couple eaters in there:smile2:

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Same here. They LOVE beemoth (waxworms). I dont have much luck seining or using a thrownet. They're just too fast.

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I usually use a small chunk of nightcrawler or beemoths. But I've also caught them on small chunks of hot dog. Usually I use a #6 hook about a foot under a bobber and fish shallower rapids. The really big ones will hit small jigs which I've found out while fishing for smallmouth. The big 10-12" creek chubs are kinda a trip to catch, sometimes they get a very pink/green coloration to them and look like rainbow trout haha

6. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    As kid growing up in Pennsylvania I had a trout stream running right in front of my house & fished it all the time. The only thing I ever used was a little black-bodied Panther Martin spinner with a gold blade. It was killer for those native brookies AND bait-sized chubs. I haven't tried chubs since I've been in Indiana, but that same Panther Martin spinner slays very nice sized (7-9 in)common shiners.

7. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    I use a tiny hook and small splitshot, and rod & reel, 4# test line and usually redworms work best for me, we really don't have any problem catching enough for a trip to the fishin' hole, I try to find a hole right beside some rapid moving water, thats where they tend to sit in wait for something to float by they can eat!!

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    when i molested chub creeks i used hook n line. smallest(light wire so you can straiten them instead of loose them:wink:_ )hook i could get baited with bee moth. i used a cane pole with the hook tied up the line 2-3" and a big split shot on the bottom. dip it in and out of thrash in creek holes and you will find them.

9. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    So what should I look for when hunting for creek chub spots. There are a couple water holes around here that I go to catch bait and I occassionally catch a chub 4 inches or so, but not any of the big ones. Any advice?

10. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree... I know a good creek too just dont know if the people who live next to the creek would let me get them

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i find them in brush or rocks n stuff. dont have to be in a hole but it helps. any area with some cover and depth.