Houston Texas

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by fishingbuddy4, Dec 7, 2006.

1. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Going to be down in Houston during christmas ,was wondering if there is any good cat lakes near there .

2. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I hear tell that they catch alot of fish in lake Houston but I'm not one of the guys that fish there. I would tell you where i fish in the Trinity river but the ramp is sanded in and can not be used right now.

3. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Hope you enjoy your holiday. Lake Conroe is around 30 - 45 min from down town barrin traffic. Good stuff around the 1097 bridge. Hot dogs, Shrimp, Minnows, Cut Bait, Punch Bait toe's and fingers if your not carfull. But still Good stuff. :cool2:

4. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    yea i heard lake conroe was good and it is 20 miles from where we are going to be my wifes grandmother lives in cypress tx just north west of houston

5. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    If anyone is up for some fishing at lake conroe that week of christmas we can meet up somewhere

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I mostly fish Lake Houston, its 2 miles from my home, or 6 where I usually put my kayak in. But, if Conroe were closer, that's where I'd fish. Not because I think the fishing is any better, but its pretty. Livingston, though, is first choice if you a blue cat fisherman. Its the best blues lake in the state and may be the best cat fishing lake. The limit is 50 per day on Livingston, 25 elsewhere.

7. gsbrown00

gsbrown00 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I live in Montgomery right on Lake Conroe it can be great for catfishing at times. 1097 bridge area is always a good place and on the north side of of 1375 theres a place where the river channel cuts back into the bank. livers and cut bait work for me.

8. gsbrown00

gsbrown00 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Since the water level in Lake Conroe has risen the black bass are good on the south side of the 1375 bridge in the jungle the area across from the forestry boat ramp. caught 2 limits the other day with quite a few smaller one when the cold front moved in. got a 6lb and 5lb that day.

9. bgbluecat

bgbluecat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Lake Houston is very good for cats. If you're visiting you are probably without the boat. Good shore spot is the FM1960 bridge crossing the lake. Fish the east side of the bridge - walk out under the bridge and fish the downstream side. Plenty of depth with a good cast and cats around the bridge pilings also. If you have a small cast net you can get small shad from the shallows or from most of the piers/bulkheads around the Lake Houston marina which is about 100' from the bridge. I say small net since lot of snags in shallow water and you don't want to tear up a big net. Winter fishing is slow so don't expect too much too fast but that is probably one of the better shore areas. Bring more than one rig and you'll stay a little busier.
    Should you have access to a boat with a fathometer then quadruple your options. Plenty of shad in deep water under the bridge and lots of irregular bottom features near the bridge that hold bigger cats. I take some in the 40-50# range on jugs every year. Good luck/ml

10. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Thanks for the help ,yea i will not be trailering my boat all the way to houston,but i hope to find a good place to shore fish