*Houston* I think we had a problem....Anchor

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by SmokinBarrel, Oct 20, 2009.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    I went out this past Saturday below Alton Dam with high hopes. I had bait, rods all in order, gas w/ stabil (wanted to work through gas lines), good weather, a good launch, I couldn't ask for more, right?

Well, I tried three different spots. Ah yes, their you are big kitty, so I idle forward and throw that anchor with confidence!

Hmmmm, the anchor keeps slipping, and it doesn't grab hold! No problem, I'll try again. So, I idle forward, and throw that anchor again with confidence!

Hmmmm, the anchor keeps slipping, and it doesn't grab hold! So, I do it again, and again, and again! I tried both anchors, and each failed drastically! It would of made a great drifting scenario, but I wanted to anchor!

So my thinking, my rope must have be to short? The water was up and moving fast. But, I didn't have this issue when the water was down when the dikes showed. My rope was about 75' on each anchor. Normally I use 100', but didn't have an issue with 75', as I was using a both flute style anchors. In fact, one of the flute style anchors requires 1/2 the line because of a 45 degree angle which allows for less rope used.

Anyway, I tried this at three different locations trying to anchor in 25 - 40' of water. And no luck, so finally I gave up and pull out. I bet the two gents anchored under the dam thought I was nutz! I kept pulling up my anchor and re-throwing. :eek:oooh::smile2:

2. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ill take some pics... but one day i was down at cloumbia bottms at 11pm and triped over a anchor someone home made and fell off there boat ...

ITS THE BEST DAMN ANCHOR EVER!!!.......

I can anchor anywhere and i mean that.It also has a release so all u do is pull the boat forward and it comes lose...:wink:

3. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Rob, Thanks. That would be nice to see so I can buy one or have one made.

4. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Rope to short would be my guess as well.I have had to use a 150 foot rope when we have alot of current.I was always taught to use a 7:1 ratio.For every foot of depth you use 7 feet of rope to get the maximum hold from the anchor.:crazy: Yep thats alot of rope.I have never had to use more than 5:1 ratio meaning 150 foot for a 30 foot depth.Here is a good website with anchoring details , I hope this helps.
    http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/reviewpages/boatusf/project/info5e.htm

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Dennis do you have any chain on your anchor line, if not add about 10 ft of chain it will make a big difference in how your anchor holds .

6. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Actually no, I don't have any chain attached. And I do have some handy, so I'll cut and add. That just maybe the ticket.

7. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Dennis i know it made a big difference with my anchor when i added more chain to it ,I have about 12ft of chain on my anchor line but i also fish the ocean inlets around here ,they have a hard sand bottom

8. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anchor chain is the ticket! It helps keep the pull angle low with lesser rope out.

9. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    +1 on the anchor chain.

Does anyone on here use a Cajun anchor in shallow water?
    Either PVC or steel?

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Winston posted in the library a year or so back with an anchor he built. I made one and it's a bit heavy,,,but holds. If i can find the link i'll post it. Micheal Jake (gateway cat club) has a sand anchor that i was impressed with this year on Truman. They were dumping mucho water and it holds great and don't take up much room either.

11. Rollinunknown

State:
    Missouri
    I dont use any chain at all ... i use rope from walmart and never had a problem i can anchor when the water is high and moveing very fast...

I think its all in the anchor.:eek:oooh: ill get some pics tomarrow.

12. Rollinunknown

State:
    Missouri
    Were are u at in st louis ... i could swing it by and hell u can go try it out i love it!

Its funny when i see people trying to anchor on the missouri i pull up by my self and toss it out there cause i know its gonna anchor and go sit in the back of the boat as it anchors 5 secs after hitting the botom lol... i even had an offer to sell it but there no way i could lol..

13. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    i never knew about the ratio thing. but i was out one day and my 30 lb sand anchor got stuck, so i tried everything pulling forward bouncing all of it but ended up cutting it. when i got home i had a old pump base that is oval shaped hollow in the center with three 1 1/2 in. legs. i decided to give it a whurl. it ways about 30 lbs. it has been the best anchor i have ever had and hadn't hung it but a couple of times and got it back both times. it still holds beter than any anchor i've ever owned.

14. Rollinunknown

State:
    Missouri

geez 30lbs wow !...

With a fast moveing current and pulling that thing off the bottom is like having a 60lb anchor lol!

15. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO

Rob,

I live in Richmond Heights, but work near the Airport which is closer to you. I get off work on Friday's around 10 a.m. I could swing by or meet you someplace in between for a look at the anchor?

16. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    Rob post a picture so we can see what you have.:roll_eyes:

17. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You can't anchor in 40 ft of flowing water with 75 ft of rope.

I'd suggest a minimum of 150 ft of anchor rope. Skip the chain and all that other stuff. If you put out enough rope, the boat will eventually hold.

18. Rollinunknown

State:
    Missouri
    your right i dont use 75ft of rope i use 50ft in 40ft deep.. my ANCHOR owns face.....

My online is down along with cell phones and tv at the house soon as its up i will post pics. Tuesday .

We got into it with ATT we are switching to charter sooo...:eek:oooh:
    Im at my brothers.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009