Housebreaking

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by Jerry60k, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Ok I am at my wits end with my Jack Russel.No matter what I try I cant get him to stop peein in the house.Any suggestions?

I have tried alot of things and I have tried my best to get him to bark and let me know when he is outside to no avail.

Sad part is I showed him a squirrel and what to do 1 time and he will tree a squirrel by sight with major conviction and he is only around 7 months old or so.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jerry,I have found that instead of trying to teach a dog to tell ya,Its sometimes better to LISTEN. in that I mean watch his actions,He may do a certain thing only then. my dogs pee in the house at nite only ,but If I put them in thier pet carrier,problem solved,they are whining to be let out first thing in the morning at 5 am sharp. I guess they dont like layin in thier own pee:wink:

3. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Thats the problem this dog will pee in his crate like he is sayin to me Kiss his butt.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You will get differing suggestions on this one. I don't know what to tell ya, but I will suggest a couple of things. Might help, might not. Get him neutered for one thing. Whether it stops his peeing, or not...I don't know, but it will cut down on territorial marking, and he will be healthier for it. Hormones are bad unless they are being put to use frequently. If he is peeing in his crate, he is not telling you to kiss his butt...he has no choice. A dog will not, by choice pee or poop in his bed. He goes because he can no longer hold it. Now, he may not be emptying outside like he's supposed to...holding it so he can pee on your chair, but he's not intentionally peeing in his crate. You just gotta make sure he is done going outside before you let him in. Male dogs don't usually pee 'till they are empty anyways because they need ammo for marking...so getting him clipped is important in this respect. You may have to ration his water. I water mine 3 times a day when she gets fed, and gets let out 4 times a day. She doesn't get any food or water after about 6 at night. I don't take her water away, I just don't fill it up every time it's empty. They need water, but unless they are being worked, and getting hot, they don't probably need as much as you might think. Don't leave him water when you go to work. Let him eat and drink, allow him sufficient time outside, take his water away. Get him on a schedule. I don't know if that will work for you, but it works for me...then again, I have a female. My males were always more challenging in that respect, but they were intact.

5. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Start letting him out a lot. Every hour take him out side. Let him get used to the routine of peeing outside. Most people will tell ya don't let him back in until he pees, but he aint going to pee every hour. But the times you feel he needs to pee, stay out until he does. If he has his choice of peeing inside or outside he will chose outside. if he doesn't know when he will be going outside next, he will pee in the house if he has to go. He needs programed to know when he will be going out. Once his brain gets programed that he will be going outside every hour, he will wait until one of them times to pee outside. Once that routine has been programed into his head, you can start cutting back to every hour and a half, then every two hours. Once he is used to the routine, he will start letting you know he needs to go outside to keep the routine up.
    Dogs learn routine. The best way to train a dog is repetition. My dog was the same way until I did this. She hasn't had an accident in the house since she was 7 months old. She is 4 now.

I know this is hard to do if everyone is working and no one is home all day.

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My Mom did this and it is a BAD idea. She potty "trained" her dog with those paper mats. Needless to say...her dog is not potty trained to go outside. Not saying you did, just interjecting it here while we are on the subject. It can never be a good idea to train your dog to go potty in your house. Scolding them won't help either. The only way is through routine, spay/neuter, and possiby rationing...if need be.

7. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Maybe it is territorial. I take him out for 10-15 minutes at a time or longer a dozen times a day.He sometimes may go 2-3 days then slip up.

I have been rationing his water so maybe a little more patience is required,I am just gettin tired of spot cleaning the carpet everyday.

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    When you take him out, make it a 10 minute walk. If it is territorial, he is more apt to remark his spots along the walk route that have been covered up than the ones in the house that have not.