Houndsmen

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by triggerhappy, Feb 17, 2006.

1. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    The raccoon thread got me to thinking.

Most all the game that's hunted with dogs fall under the title "small game" so...

What's everyone's favorite breed, and for what game?

Me? I don't own a single one but its gotta be the old lines of blueticks (sometimes called gascons) for raccoons. For birds I don't have a preference, not been around it enough. Rabbits, beagles...duh! (big block-heads:)). Waterfowl would have to be chessies (my uncle had an absolutely unbelievable one).

2. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    I want to get a German Short Hair i plan to get him in about 1.5 years. I want him for dove quail pheasant and maybe goose. As for hounds my granddad has two black mouth curs that we use for hogs and some coon/rabbit.

3. backwoods

backwoods New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I use curs on squirrels when I use to coon hunt I used to use Redbone coonhounds and use beagles on swamp rabbits.

4. Langerock

Langerock New Member

State:
    Modesto, CA
    I have a rednose pitbull and a wolf hybrid 80% arctic wolf.
    When I took Ogre (the pit) squirrle hunting he started pointing at some birds I started lauighing cause I have no idea how he learned to do that.
    I know he was a fighting dog before I found him a few months ago.
    I also have some pitbull wolfhybrid puppies if anyone is interested.
    I also plant to take ogre and nitrous and there new sone reefer hog hunting soon.

5. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    Well Lange...here's a site that might interest someone boar hunting with hybred dogs. It's not an american sight (it is english) so they do things a bit different.

http://boardogs.com/Index_1.htm

6. R. D. Hilton

R. D. Hilton Active Member

State:
    tx
    Black & tan hounds are what I hunt coon with . Any thing that will tree is a good breed.

7. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I'm a walker man myself. Just because that's what I've got, but if a dog'll tree a coon, then he's a goodun if you ask me. I own one of the prettiest walker dogs I've ever laid eyes on. I'm just proud that he's mine. Now if I could get him to stay at the tree better........ a little too much puppy in him still.

Jerrod