Hounds water logged ears

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by SNAGGED, Jan 6, 2007.

1. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    My redbone gets water in her ears and it really bothers her. You can move her ears around and hear and feel that squishy feeling. My lab had this problem but used peroxide to dry it out. It worked good for the lab but not for this other one. Anybody have any other ideas?

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Try alcohol on a q-tip. Actually alcohol on a whole bunch of q-tips. Oughta work for ya. Alcohol dries considerably faster than water. It might take a big big man to hold the dog for the treatment, but it should work.

3. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Thanks, we were treating her for ear mites and you dump liquid or drops in her ears. after a while the squishy sound and feel came in like her ears were not draining. started with the peroxide putting in 2 cc's per ear and the third night the ear shaking and scratching stopped. Now I can keep up with the long treatment of the earmites but will use the alcohol the next time we have problems.

4. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have a lab. When he swims I clean out his ears with Ear Clens from Fosters & Smiths. Its a liquid and comes in a bottle. You can get it or a product like from most pet stores. After taking him to the vet with ear infections from wet ears that wouldn't dry out, the vet told me to clean his ears with this stuff a couple of times a week in hunting season or whenever he swims. Works great and really saves on the vet bills.

5. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    They make a drop for swimmers that gets rid of water in the ears.
    I think it called swimmers ear drops.
    Should work for your dogs too.