Houghton Lake in Michigan

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by dreamcatcher, Apr 14, 2006.

1. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Anybody got any feedback from this honey hole? I am tired of fishing in these high pressurized, overfished areas and Houghton is reputed to be one of the best catfish lakes in the state that doesn't get fished for catfish. Sounds like a plan to me, now all we have to do is formulate that plan. Where is this in relation to Bay City? Marlette? Ithaca? In hours? Minutes? No, it may not have flatheads, but who cares? There's supposedly some monster channels in there that are itching for a fight. I'm going to do my own research, but let's get some dialogue going...as Sparky would say we need to catch these things before the meat gets to soft. What do you say? Fill up the freezer with some prime catfish fillets? Talk to me...

2. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Houghton Lake is about 2 1/2 Hrs. from Marlette, so about 1 1/2 hrs from Bay City. I'm ready to go just about any time. I have to shoot a turkey sometime next week, but I'm ready.
    There are some camp grounds (3) on or near the lake, not to mention I have a friend that lives in Harrison.
    Sparky

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Vic,
    When you said that there are no Flatties in Houghton Lake, Keep in mind, that lake is the head waters to the Muskegon River!
    Sparky

4. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Sparky,

I really didn't mean to say there weren't any flatheads. There might be some by chance...the only thing I'm saying is that sucker outing opened my eyes to the other possibilities. Getting into some potentially large channels isn't a bad thing either. When the one guy(forgot his name) was talking about the catfish in that lake I know that he wasn't pulling our chain. Oh by the way, that reel works like a charm now. You can't cast it in freespool like most other reels. There is another position that you set for casting.

Hey Don, you listening to this conversation? LOL.

5. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    im here just thinking that as many boats and jet skis that spot might be better during the week

6. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Like on a Thursday or Friday perhaps? They don't jet ski at night do they, or do you have to be off the lake at a certain hour? Sparky, you said Harrison is the nearest town to the lake? Has anyone ever been there? Where is Sal? So many questions...LOL.

7. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    You miss understood me! I have a friend in Harrison, She might be able to put up a couple of us, is what I was getting at.
    The closest town is Houghton Lake, or Prudenville.
    Sparky
    P.S
    The best thing though is to camp on the Lake.

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I don't know for sure, but like most lakes, they usually have a no wake law from 6:00pm or 8:00pm til 9:00am.
    As far as Sal goes, I think he is taking a little brake!
    Sparky

9. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    How the h ll did that google ad get in here!

10. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Don, they are all over the site. What's the quickest way to get info on the lake Sparky? I know it's still cold at night right now, but we could do still do it. Unless you guys want to wait until it warms up a little for night fishing.

11. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I could be wrong guys but I think the State record Channel came from Houghton lake. Back in the 60's maybe. There has got to be some big fish there. Don't forget about Croton and Hardy impoundments. They are both Muskegon river reservoirs. I have personaly seen 2 large Channel cats in the upper teens come out of these waters caught on accident by walleye anglers. So many lakes......... so little time.

12. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    State record houghton lake 1960 40lbs by Dick latarski then 1964 40lbs 41.50" by Richard French.The dnr sight has a lake map and stocking info on houghton lake this coud be worth a trip!

13. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Houghton Lake-

Im gonna be targeting Houghton, Cadillac, Lake City, and Mitchell this summer. My inlaws live in Cadillac and that means free room and board and free parking all summer.

I havent been on Houghton myself but once and I was a lil guy- Its a pain of a lake to fish because of all the pleasure boaters and jetski-ers.

Whenever you fella want to try, just gimme a hollar.

989-875-4044

Sal

By the way- I was out of the elizabeth marina near Gross Isle on the Detroit River this weekend- 40 walleye hooked, 15 boated.. in only 3 hours. Helluva mornin!

Keep yer lines tight.

14. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Thanks Dan, for sharing that experience about the channel cats. Is it true people don't target the cats there? You said they were caught by accident fishing for walleye.

Sal, that was a great morning. That's the kind of fishing you enjoy because you don't have to be out there all day long.

Okay, we're talking about it, but when are we going to do it? Ideas?

15. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Yup, no body targets them there. Everybody wants to catch walleye there. There are alot of nice bluegills there too, and hardly anyones fishing for them either. My old man caught the 2 fish I mentioned while trolling at night for walleye. Caught them on black and silver Shad Raps! They were slobs, real fat fish. There is a deep old river channel that meanders through the lake. It's about 60-70 ft average depth. If a guy could find some wood cover or other fish holding structure near that channel he might find a cat or 2. I've also heard stories from local divers working on the dam that have seen HUGE lake Sturgeon as well as some very large catfish. It would be alot of fun hooking a 200 lb Sturgeon on accident would'nt it? I live less than an hour from both Croton and Hardy ponds, and grew up spending my Summers at Hardy at my families cabin. If you want to give it a try let me Know. I tried last May for cats at Hardy pond with some fresh cut bait. Darn Pike kept harrassing me. Landed a nice 36 incher. I guess they like cutbait too.

16. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Dan, I'm not opposed to "accidentally" hooking a pike or two? I'm told they are actually pretty tasty if prepared properly, right Sparky? However, it is the catfish, and now that you mentioned it, the bluegill that I'm after. LOL. Catching a bunch of bluegill is just as good or better than the catfish. LOL. I can't throw out any dates not knowing you guys schedules, but it looks like end of April or early May might be a good time to hit it initially. Temps should be tolerable by then to do some night fishing.

Vic

17. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    There is great fishing all over that area guys! Before moving here to NC I lived in Cadillac and I grew up fishing with my dad.
    Lakes Cadillac and Mitchell both offer some great fishing if you go when the pleasure boaters and PWC are off the water.
    Houghton Lake really is a honey hole if you are not after what the majority of fisherman are after. Cats and bream are grand there! Wish I could go along....lol

18. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Vic,
    Any date is good for me, but the bluegills won't be on their beds til mid to late May. Of course that doesn't mean you can't catch them, if you know where to go. What we have to remember is, Houghton Lake is a hugh lake! If I'm not mistaken, it is the largest inland lake in the State. So with that in mind, we better do our home work on where to fish.
    Sparky

19. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    By the way, as far as eating pike goes, I'm King cook of the cold water Nothern Pike and there is nothing better. You take a 24 to 28 inch pike filet him out to where there are no Y bones in them, and you have yourself some of the finest table fare you could ask for.
    Sparky

20. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi