Hotdogs

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by arync, Jul 3, 2007.

1. arync

arync New Member

State:
    virginia
    I live on a little pond behind my house that has a lot of bluegill, largemouth bass and catfish. I recently took some kids out at night and we didn't have any nightcrawlers so we used cooked hotdogs from the bbq we just had. The catfish tore them up, I've seen kids fishing with hotdogs for the bluegill but didn't think it would work with cats. Will catfish truely eat anything and has anyone else ever used hotdogs?

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    It is true that channels will eat just about anything - including hot dogs! Actually, I've caught a lot of 1-2 pounders on hot dogs and Vienna sausages. For the big boys, stick with natural baits like minnows, cut bait, crawdads, leeches, etc.

3. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    My uncle had a small pond with 2-3 catfish and he always said they oved the hotdogs best. The smell/oil is supposed to really set them off. Hotdogs dont stay on a hook well though. Aslo for wild fish who have seen fishermen, i prefer natural bait, never seen a hotdog swimming wild in our lakes:smile2:.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Another advantage about useing hot dogs for bait is, if the fish arent biting you can turn your trip into a picnic. :big_smile:

5. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I use to use hotdogs for channels mainly in ponds, it was fair.

6. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Although I mostly use some form of cutbait now I know that hotdogs work well on blues and channels. We use cheap chicken wieners marinated in cherry jello/garlic powder. I have loaded the boat with blues up to 10 to 12 pounds with the doctored dogs. They do work very well.

Cheez

7. Catfish_Hunter88

Catfish_Hunter88 New Member

State:
    Raleigh, North
    The cheap red hot dog work the best

8. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    yea...the local pond the cats would eatem when no other bait would catch one

9. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    ive hered soaking them in galic powder, vienigar, and anise oil makes them work better, im probily gonna try this combo soon

10. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    One mason jar with a very good lid
    2 packages of cheap cheap hotdogs
    2 packages of strawberry koolaid
    1 large garlic clove
    2 cups of water

Crush garlic clove, add to mason jar with 2 cups of water
    Then stir in koolaid packets
    Finally, cut hotdogs in to 1 inch chunks and place in the jar. Place lid on jar. Set the jar in the sun for 24-48 hours. I use Gamakatsu size 4 circle hooks with great success.

I tried adding Vanilla extract to another batch, and the fish dont seem to like it.:angry:

11. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA

i agree, actually i think little ponds like that unless the fish are fed on a specific bait for food, not bait, will bite on anything, bigger areas with more food i think would be more selective, i have never caught anything on hotdogs, and i tryed marinating, injecting things into it, had no luck whatsoever, i think fish can be more selective when they have more food available, if they dont they take what they can get

12. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

Fish do like anise...it is an excellent ingredient in carp baits as well...