Hot wires

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by vegasryder, Jul 31, 2007.

1. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I dont know if this belongs in this thread,but i thought i`d post it here anyway...I was wondering if anyone would know why the electrical wires get hot(to touch)? I am running the lights,depth finder,bildge pump and the motor off the same battery.Also...i think the wires for the accesories are 12/14 gauge.All the accesories are grounded to the battery.I have a on/off switch for each one of the accesories i`m running...but even though it`s off, the wires still get hot.

Also...Heres a pic of the carburator with melted plastic from the choke.Anyone have any ideas how this could of happened?I did notice the hose on the top had a crack in it also...

Attached Files:

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Kenny,
    You have a short somewhere. Also, if I read your description right the electrics on your motor are not properly grounded. If you have an aluminum hull make sure that you do not ground anything or short anything through the hull.

3. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I have a fiberglass tri-hull.Do you think i should just ground the wires at something that has metal on it and not ground it to the battery?

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    NO! For a marine application, ground to the batteries. Just find your short and it will straighten itself out. Maybe try to run the motor on some ear muffs on a read dark night. See if you can find a little electical storm brewing around the motor.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    First off install a fuse panel some where under the consol and run you a ground wire up to a good ground station under there and than run you a good hot wire up to the fuse panel and then start hooking things up one at a time and you will find it,

I wouls take every thing loose but the motor and this will give you an idea where to start looking.
    Check that hot line going from the battery to the starter and see if it has a bare place and arching out against the other wires or to the ground wire.

6. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
  7. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    You might try this lift your ground wire from the battery and connect a test lite or 12volt bulb between the lifted ground wire and the neg battery post and if you turn off all the switches to every lite and acc. your test lite should lite up if you have a direct short. you might try desconnecting the plug to your engine first to find out if its on your wiring harness side and not in your engine.If its not then go to your engine side and check there with you wiring diagrams... The test lite acts as a load to your wiring harness and when you r test lite does not come on then you have found your short.