Hot weather flathead catfishing

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by whiteriverbigcats, Aug 2, 2006.

1. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well i have studied and on my first experiment on my local river i had great sucess.. I caught 3 flatties.. and two gar.. But as long as i was catching something.. Well i figured that if i fished the shallows but near where the creek feeds into it... Hopeing that would cause the water to be a little cooler,( and it was....)I started about (9:30 pm ) and within two minutes of my first cast i hooked a 4 pounder.... and about 30 mins after that i caught a 2 pounder.. but in the mist of all that i caught two gar.. ( one that was about 6 pounds and one about 2-3 pounds ).. well about 4:30 in the morning when the fog on the water was at it thickest i caught a 15 pounder... And all together missed about 8 runs... They were the first Flatties i have caught all year.. and havent had any luck in the heat fishing the deep holes... so i tried the shallows and and had success.... Great success for the area i was fishing... plan to do it again tonight or tommorrow... But i will have pics of the fish tommorrow posted later in this thread... And the funniest part is... I caught all my fish on Night Crawlers!!! Couldnt beleive it.... well i hope this helps anyone having troble catching flatties in this heat... Till next time good luck and good fishing

2. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    Congrats, you did better than I have lately

3. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I haven't caught a flathead all summer. :embarassed:

4. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Somtimes when its hot and the river levels are low the deeper holes get stagnant and the oxygen levels get low and fish advoid them.

5. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Here is what i caught in my lil experiment......

Attached Files:

6. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Shane looks like is was still a good trip for you. Like you stated atleast you were catching something.

7. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on a good fishing trip!

8. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    ive tried the same thing but never caught nothing ive caught more in the heat then any other time and they all have been 20 + but depends on what and where ur fishing and what ur bait is i guess thanks for the tip though maybe ill go try it again but use worms this time.

9. huntinflatheads

huntinflatheads New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have a spot I fish that is very similar. Catch a lot of big channels, and some smaller flatheads 15lbs and under there.