Hot weather fishing tips.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by spoonfish, Aug 6, 2007.

1. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Well its that time of year again. Todays forecast here is 100 with the heat index well above that. What are some of the things you all do to help relieve the heat?
    When it gets this hot I tend to turn nocturnal and dont go out until evening but thats not allways possible. Useing umbrellas helps to keep the direct sun off. I take frozen water bottles and take one out at a time to unthaw to drink. Keeping a wash cloth on ice and placing on your head or under your hat also helps.
    What other ways do you all use to help keep cool?

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    thanks for the advice. its just downright hot! id say just jump in the water, but thats hot too! im gettin ready to go play baseball right now, so after that ill be used to the heat enough to go catch some fish.

3. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I tend to fish less in the extreme months during summer/winter, which here in the south really means July/August and Jan/Feb. I use the time to clean tackle boxes, reels , rods and work on the boat. When I summer fish it is nights or early morning only.. I have made little mounts that fit my rodholders to hold Patio umbrellas I buy from Harbor Freight. Stay hydrated, eat light snacks while fishing and make fish release as quick as possible. Iced towels work great for cooling off and a dip in the lake/river after fishing is a great way to cool off...LOL!! More than once I've flopped backwards at the ramp loading the boat just too cool down!!!:big_smile:

4. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Some good ideas fellows, Thanks. The temp went up past 102 just a minute ago and I am staying inside where it is cool and watch my elec bill climb. The forecast is for the same for the next 7 to 10 days and no rain in sight.
    Stay cool.
    Bill

5. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    one thing is to stay hydrated in the heat it is so offten we tend not to drink enough water, The key word here is WATER, also were a well vented hat this will allow the heat to escape and sun off your head. I fish almost day only in from early morning till about 1 pm, the hottest time of the day comes in the afternoon.

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Water,water,water!I save the old water bottles and refill them and keep them in the freezer 3/4 full with the caps off.Just add a litte water,cap'em and go fishing.Keeps the bait cold also.
    Soda and beer will actually dry you out,save that for back at home in the A.C.
    Ditto on the umbrella,shade helps.
    Be careful on breezy days.It may feel good,but it just blows more heat onto you,if its humid it will not increase sweat evaporation,just blow more hot air on ya.

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Good point guys. Make sure to drink lots of water to stay hydrated. Stay away from caffine and alcohol. A well ventilated summer cap is another. I'm guilty of not wearing one some times and have a fav. if I do. Problem is it's a solid back winter type I would call it. Get a open messed summer cap if wearing one. Stay cool :cool2: If you feel your getting over heated find a place in the shallows and some shade to sit in the water.

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Another tip for staying cool in the heat is to wear light colored, thin clothing. Believe it or not, but wearing a longsleeve shirt, that is thin and light in color can be cooler than wearing a black t-shirt.

9. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Its so weird to hear you guys talk about 100 degree heat while here in Texas we have not had any until this week. I fish anytime I have the opportunity. In the summer the fish tend to feed at night and Thats when I try to fish or early in the am and get off the lake by 11 o'clock.