Hot weather crappie

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by zappaf19, Jun 11, 2007.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have been fishing both deep and shallow structures and not getting many crappie in this hot weather. Any advise?
    Bill

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Might they be spawning? We've been fishing a farm pond and they hadn't spawned there yet but that was the last week of May so they might be on their beds or just getting off and either way they would be slow. Just a thought.

3. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I prefer night fishing when it comes to crappie. Put out a floater or a qbeam and let em come to you.

If you wanna do the daylight thing, they will come up shallower in the shade. Try some sunken brushpiles on the shady side or early in the morning. That's what works for me :)

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    yeah in the summer a floating light above some structure is the only way to fly.

5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I agree summer time crappies can be hard, but the light in the water at night is killer. If you have to fish during the day I go with a size smaller jig to try to trigger the none active fish. So if you are normally fishing a 1/4 oz jig I would go with 1/8 - 1/32 until I found the size that triggered them. You also might try to dead stick the jig, let it go down to the fishes depth ( from the fish finder) and let the wake action jig the jig.

6. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    If you're fishing from a boat, I suggest fishing deep trees, if you can find them. Drop a small jig tipped with a crappie bite into the tree & just le it stay motionless as long as possible. If that doesn't get a strike in a minute & a half to 2 minutes, try a very, very slooowwww up & down movement for a minute or 2. If the fish are there, they will not be able to resist. Use a brightly coored jig, maybe with some orange or yellow or green, even pink. Be prepared though, big cats hang out in these trees sometimes, too, and I had to learn that the hard way.

7. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    When its hot. Early morning and late evening will be best. As the day heats up they will move deeper. The shade under a bridge is a great place, on the shady side of any trees, logs, etc.

8. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I have been caught few crappies by weedlines and they are best bite in late evenings.

9. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I have done well from 10:00pm-3:00am, jigging 2-4" threadfin shad or just dropping them down the side of the boat. I'm fishing off rock bluffs in 22-23 feet of water with some stumps and brush using a light. and usually the crappie big enough to eat the shad are keepers. Most of my hits have came from about 15-20 foot of water. so seems they are holding close to bottom where i'm at.

10. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    wait till nightfall then go out with a crappie light off a dock and fish with minners or jigs...you will hammer them crappie

11. fordman49450

fordman49450 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I've never fished at night for crappie, what do you mean by a "crappie light" and how do you use it? what are you techniques, I'd love to do some crappie fishing at night

12. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    brush, brush, and more brush. the best place to find them is where expert casters get hung up in a branch every 5 mintues.:smile2:

13. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I believe a crappie light is a glow stick attached to your line, used when vertical jigging. however Im not 100% sure.

14. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    a crappie light would either be a light that is either floating in/on the water or, aimed directly at the water and suspended above it. The idea is to bring in the bait fish which cause the crappie to come in. Also works for other fish as well.

15. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    tony is right and after looking up these on the net i am going to expeirament with a couple led ideas that may work for far less than the pricey ones i found.
    back in the 70's i seen a couple use a car light crudely mounted in a large piece of styrofoam hung over the edge of their boat .
    i bet it drew some juice to run it for several hours causeing them to need an extra battery. i want to come up with a versatile one i can use while bank fishing that can be tossed out and retrieved easily from the bank as well as the boat.

16. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Can anyone give me any info on this night fishing with lights? Do you have to keep the light out for a certain amount of time before you start fishing? Is there certain baits that work at night? Do certain depths work at night? Crappie is my favorite fish to eat and I would love to catch some!

17. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Niko

generally the lights only have to be out a few minutes before they start attracting fish. However wait at least 30-45 mins before deciding if they are being effective.

As far as baits, minnows and or jigs.

Depth, Any depth you want.

Normally, the process is to anchor over structure. Put out your lights, then start fishing. Usually just tight lining your bait over the side of the boat. Small floats can be used as well though near the edges of the lighted area of water.

We normally try to keep our bait in the lighted area. You can however drop your bait below the lighted area for a better chance at catching catfish that are brought in.

18. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Our local wal-mart has em for 19.99 in the sporting good section says they only draw 2 amps per hour...Just an Idea for you all...

19. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    On another note.

I have heard that lately in Oklahoma, large crappie are being caught on 3-4" shad around lights. Sandies or white bass as some of ya'll other states call 'em are being caught on 3-6" shad around the lights as well.