Hot weather crappie

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by zappaf19, Aug 18, 2006.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    What is the trick to catching crappie in 86 degree water? I have fished deep structors and have had no luck. Fish finder shows schools of something down there.
    Bill

2. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The lake i fish in is 84 degrees and i've been finding them in 6-8' of water close to beaver huts. The fish are only 6-9" in length. Can't seem to find the bigger ones.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe you need to find the thermocline in the lakes/rivers you fish (I know, rivers usually don't have a thermocline due to the moving water). At any rate, once you have identified the thermocline, you look for structure slightly above it. That's where the fish should be hanging out. No need to fish 50' of water if the thermocline is at 30'. They won't be below the thermocline except to escape a predator, and then not very long.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    In hot weather here find the creek channels and fish over them. Most places here is 25ft deep or so and the fish will be 12 to 15ft deep over them.
    Pete

5. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    I have had some success using a spread of 6 lines off the bow of the boat. I set each line about 1.5'-2' deeper running from left to right. When I get a fish, I set them all about that depth. Has worked for me in Sardis, Enid, and Granada. BTW, using Mo. minnows for bait.

6. timpndr20

timpndr20 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I fish over deep structure when the water temp get's over 80 degrees.My method involves 6 or 8 lb. test line,a 7 ft. medium light spinning rig,and 1/32nd ounce painted jig heads.The bite is usually so lite you won't feel it.What I do is tip the jig head with a medium size minnow,pitch the minnow rig just past the bed,count to 15 or 20 while watching the line.If the line slacks,bounces,or stops set the hook.If the line doesn't show any signs of a bite when the count is done,use a reel and pause method on the retrieve.Usually you will get a bite before you get to the end of the count.The light jig head and heavier line allows to drop at a slower rate.

7. timpndr20

timpndr20 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I fish over deep structure when the water temp get's over 80 degrees.My method involves 6 or 8 lb. test line,a 7 ft. medium light spinning rig,and 1/32nd ounce painted jig heads.The bite is usually so lite you won't feel it.What I do is tip the jig head with a medium size minnow,pitch the minnow rig just past the bed,count to 15 or 20 while watching the line.If the line slacks,bounces,or stops set the hook.If the line doesn't show any signs of a bite when the count is done,use a reel and pause method on the retrieve.Usually you will get a bite before you get to the end of the count.The light jig head and heavier line allows to drop at a slower rate.

8. timpndr20

timpndr20 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sorry guys I hit submit twice:roll_eyes:

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I was catching limit sized and bigger crappie, 10 inches on Jordan Lake, with a ton of small one's, in about 14 foot of water about a foot off of the bottom. Using tuffy minnows and small jigs. I was catching them accidentally while bream fishing for bait, but not complaining, lol.

10. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I fish for them pretty regularly in a really shallow lake, black sacalait, 6 feet of water. I catch them on 1/16 ounce jigs with Southern Pro Hot Grubs about 5 feet down. Let the jig go all the way to the bottom, then experiment with retreval speeds until you catch one on every cast. :cool2: