Hot Water Outlet At The Nuclear Plant London,Arkansas

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by TOPS, Nov 3, 2005.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I went to the hot water outlet today 3 Nov 05, I saw some blues being caught, the man seem to have about 6 in his cooler. No real large ones but there were a couple that would go about 4 to 5 pounds. they were caught on cut shad. I saw him throw the cast net once and had a good 25 shad in the net. the shad are in the outlet along with small bream. No skip jack in the outlet yet, just shad. :confused: :mad: :confused:

2. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Hey Top!
    I doubt the Skippies will be there until it turns real cold, maybe the end of January or February. Last year wasn't cold at all and you know what that did to our bait of choice, Anyways fishing with Shad is still fishing ain't it?

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    The plant is still being worked on and they are not releasing much hot water,if any at all. May be after the first of the year before they start generating electricity again. :mad: :mad:

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I went to the outlet today 3 Dec. 05, I pull my shoes off and stepped into the water, it was so cold, I could chill my soda in it. The hot water outlet is no more! We will have a poor skip jack season unless the workers complete there job soon! :sad: :mad: :confused: :glare:

5. ictalurus

ictalurus New Member

State:
    Conway, Arkansas
    Hey Guys. What the heck happened to the website? I move and get busy with work and when I try to come back everything is changed and gone. Anyway more importantly, is the water at ANO hot yet? Now that I live in Conway I sure don't want to drive all the way to Russellville only to find more cold water. Thanks in advance. :cool:

6. ictalurus

ictalurus New Member

State:
    Conway, Arkansas
    Hey Guys. What the heck happened to the website? I move and get busy with work and when I try to come back everything is changed and gone. Anyway more importantly, is the water at ANO hot yet? Now that I live in Conway I sure don't want to drive all the way to Russellville only to find more cold water. Thanks in advance. :cool:

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Last I heard from Top, nuthin' but cold water from the nookie plant. If I remember right, only #1 uses lake water for cooling, while #2 uses only the cooling towers.

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Lindsey, The hot water is not coming out the the outlet, They are working on the plant and are not releasing any hot water. Talked to a man, that is working on the plant, a couple days ago and he told me hope to be finished by the of the month.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Again, for those not in the know, steam coming out of the cooling towers has absolutely nothing to do with warm water being released into the lake. There's no visible way to tell if the discharge water from #1 reactor is warm or cold.
    Seems like I remember years ago there being a phone # that you could call to find out if #1 was on line or not, but that was way before 9-11.

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Jerry is absolutely correct the cooling tower does NOT release hot water in to the outlet. That reactor is the only one working now and has been for a while now. The engineers are working on the other one. This is the one that releases the hot water and has no cooling tower.

11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I talked to a man [ recruiting mission ] that works at the nuclear plant today 20 Dec. 05 He told me the hot water sould start flowing before christmas day. Well, I am correct this is just before christmas! I hope it starts soon. :glare: :confused: ;) :D

12. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Verlon,
    I tried to tell ya that the Skippies are hangin' out below the dam, water running or not! I have made 3 trips and my bait freezer is full!
    Most of them were caught an hour before dark with no water running! This is not a hoax! This is not just another fish story!
    I know it's easier for you to sit in your boat, but when you are out of bait as I was you might think about the short walk to just below the powerhouse, I found it very rewarding!
    On second thought maybe you should wait for the outlet as the adrenaline rush I got catching them as fast as I could throw a jig 15 feet was almost overwhelming! I'd hate to see you hurt yourself on my account!
    Now the question remains the same...
    GOT BAIT?

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Joe, Are you saying the turbines do not have to be running for the skips tp bite? I may have a hard time getting over those rocks! my back is no better. Keep us informed!

14. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    The day I went down there Turbines was not running an was not a skip to be found, course it was early in the am. Perhaps we should go down there Top, you dont have to crawl around on any rocks, all ya gotta do is make it to the end of the walk I will help ya.

15. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Hey Guys!
    Did I not say that the Skips were plentiful running water or not? I try to go down in the afternoon around 3 pm 'cause that's when they had been generating. All that aside, the Skippy's are showing up about 4pm chasing Shad along the wall. Most of them are in the 2 1/2 to 3 pound range (big Skips!) I walk down the path from the parking area above carring my light rod, my bucket and my fanny pack. I usually stay 'till 'bout 5:30 or when my bucket is full. I don't notice the cool temperatures due to the fierce action!
    Verlon, The walk ain't all that bad even for me and my bad back, I just take it slow, but it's well worth the effort! I'm planning another trip in a day or two with my son, (he's never caught Skippies!) The trip would be real nice with a couple of my BOC Brothers to shoot the breeze with. Call me if you want to get together! BTW, Have you located my bait knife? I sure do miss it! :crying:

16. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have not seen that knife. I went out there and looked around when you first posted but I had just got my boat back from the first shop that wanted to charge me $15 hundred to fix my boat! I did not trust that guy. If the knife was in the boat well, I had a small bait pouch come up missing also. :cursing: :cursing:

17. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    When are you going back to the dam. I cant go untill sat afternoon, Maybe! I know tha is christmas eve but that is the on chance that I can get away. We are down to one car now, wife works, daughter worksI must waite for one of them to be off. Sorry :eek: :eek:

18. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Verlon,
    I was hoping to go Friday evening with my son and have as of yet been able to get ahold of him. Hope to see him this evening. As far as the knife goes Mac said he put it in your shed when yall unloaded it to go to the shop. It's not really that big of a deal though I carried that thing for 14 years and they don't make 'em anymore, I guess the trouble we had getting your boat loaded that evening got me side tracked otherwise I'd have remembered. Wish you could go Friday cause there ain't no way the Mrs. is gonna let me out Christmas eve. Let's do sumthin!

19. crane

crane New Member

State:
    Paragould, AR
    Are those skippies still biting? I've got a bunch of old frozen bait and I'm looking for some fresher bait. Russelville is a lot closer than cumberland for me. If anyone has any info. let me know, I might just make a trip to stock up for the winter fishing.

20. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    The nuclear plant has not been releasing hot water. There has been maintenance performed on the plant for about 6 to 8 months now. They should start releasing soon!

Also, Joe Davis has been catching some skips below the dam here at Russellville, may-be you can set up a trip with him.

I will let you know when the hot water outlet starts producing skips.