hot water heater HELP

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by malaki, Nov 21, 2005.

1. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    just installed a new electric hot water heater. hookup went good, no leaks! the problem i am having is low hot water pressure, the cold water is fine just the hot side. i purged the air out of all the lines and filled the tank before turning on the power. thanks for any help!!

2. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    A lot of your new hot water heaters have restrictor style inlets. Actually it's a 3/4 inch nipple with a restrictor made into the nipple. All you have to do is replace the nipples that came with the new hot water tank with plain nipples. I would sugest using brass nipples. Nipples are the straight pieces of pipe that screw into your hot water tank...one for the incoming cold water and the other for the out going hot water. Also I use compression fittings to connect between the nipple and water line. It makes it a lot easier to make connections..no soldering needed.

Jesse

3. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    malaki, you might want to check the direction of flow with those restricter nipples.
    I have to disagree with Jesse's post. You need to install "dielectric nipples" first into the water heater. it's code in most places and will lenghten the life of your water heater.

4. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    OOOPPS! almost forgot. Are you meaning "low presuure at a faucet on hot water side?
    If so, I have a question;
    Did you unscrew the aeiators of your bath sink and kitchen faucets before you turned the water back on?
    If you didn't, you probably have trash from the lines stuck in them, makeing the pressure lower.This also depends on what type, style and brand of faucets that you have.(PM me and I'll explain in detail if ya want.)
    Oh that reminds me, Do you want to make that water heater last almost indefinitely? If so, read the post in "other repairs, Water heater maintenance" that I'm posting now.

5. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    well the problem is solved!! the shade tree plumber that shall remain nameless used too much solder on the elbow above the heat trap valve and plugged it. thanks for the help and advice!! i dont know what i'm doing but i'm doing it.lol