"Hot water discharges"??

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Ky_Katter91, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    I've heard of these, and I'm not really sure as to what they are, but I guess they stay warm year round, which would make for a good place to locate some big flatties...

Where are some of the ones in Kentucky and if someone could please clarify what they are I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks!!

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    it will help if we know what area of kentucky you fish,,,

3. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    From Cincinnati to "centralish" kentucky. Around Georgetown or a little further south is about as far as I'd be willing to go for a regular fishing hole.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I couldn't say in certainty that flatties hang around the discharges. We mainly locate the hot water discharges to catch bait in cooler weather when it's hard to find otherwise. I've often thought that if the bait was there, so would be the cats. Never seen many people fishin' around them though except for bait, using cast nets.

Bill in SC

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  5. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Thats exactly what I'm thinking!!! ha. That and the flatties are going to want to stay in the warmer water anyway correct??

Now what precisely is a "hot water discharge"?

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Paper mills, steel mills and power plants all run water through their boilers to make steam. The water is then discharged back into the water it comes from to complete a circuit. The discharges, again, attract bait fish year around due to the water being warm. There is usually not much structure around them, thus flatties are not likely to habitate the areas around them. Blues and channels on the other hand, just might.

Bill in SC

7. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    If there is plentyof food, and when the main water temperatures are dropped down to 40-50 degrees or even lower, you would think that they would hang around the discharges despite the lack of cover..
    I suppose it wouldn't at least hurt to try fishing for them around these areas.

8. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I am in agreement with you on this. My theory is that all the cats in a given vicinity of an outlet will be stacked up like cord wood on the edge of the heat bloom from the warm water discharge. I am going to try my theory later this month and will be posting my result for everyone to see.

9. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Sounds like a plan man. I wish I knew where there were some of these located around me :eek:oooh:
    If I did, I would probably still be after the flatties this late in the year :smile2:

10. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    You might do a Google search for your area. Power Plants, Steel Mills, get creative. Do satellite searches of rivers near you, There are a lot of ways to find them once you get started. It will take some time but the reward should be worth it.

11. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If you are from north KY made check with (BNT55 ? ) I think he is from up that way . I live in Richmond south of Lex. And I think there is one down here on the river but not sure . Have never caught any blues here and that is the Main winter species of cat so I don't spend time on the river much .

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Here is one on the Sampit River adjacent to Winyah Bay in Georgetown, SC. It is marked "bait hole" on this aerial photo.

Bill in SC

Attached Files:

13. clydecaldwell

clydecaldwell New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Justin i will take you and show/tell you some, may not be til after the first of the year though.

14. festus

festus New Member

I used to work at one of these coal fired plants many years ago, and yes, there are catfish there in the winter. Along with striper, sauger, walleye, well, about anything. This is where I would be fishing right now if it wasn't for a disaster that happened about a year ago. Their coal ash holding pond collapsed and dumped mllions and millions of gallons of waste into the river. Several homes were damaged, many folks were displaced, and there were some major fish kills. So the other plant a few miles east is offline right now for repairs. I have heard it might not reopen until 2012, and I have a feeling that a bait shop in the area is really going to suffer.

15. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    There are a couple south of Cincy on the main river, I usually get bait in the colder months there...that being said I havent really had much luck catching cats or larger predator fish around them. Are they there?...yes probably at certain times throughout the day, if I was a fish I would certainly hang out in the area due to the warm water and plentiful bait. I am thinking about hitting one this winter pretty hard to see if my hunches are correct...of course I just like having my boat hull act like a radiator when I sitting on the river in freezing weather!:wink:

Just a tip...check water temps further away from the outflow downstream and find a moderate temp with some deeper water and some cover, I would imagine that would be where the big boys are stacked.

16. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    when i was in WV i new some guys that would catch fish around and just down stream of these discharges. i agree with everyone elses theories though, they are great places to catch bait and the big fish have to stack up in places with a little structure and just down stream from the warm water.

17. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Sounds good to me man.
    I had pretty much been done with fishing for the year til last week. You got me back in the mood for landin some bigguns.

18. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Think there is a warm discharge at Maysviile on the Ohio side. The Aberdeene power plant.

19. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Thanks Ken, I appreciate the look out.

20. Huck Finn

Huck Finn New Member

State:
    Southern IL
    Here is a few pics of some catfish me and a friend caught at a hot water discharge this past spring.

brent tva 2.jpg

limblining 2.jpg

dallas catfish 2.jpg

I have been fishing this place for the last 15 years. If the water is not too high in the spring the fishing can be awesome! Of course from June-Oct the water is just too hot. About Nov the fishing starts getting good again and this place will hold fish all winter. The latest I have caught flatheads is about the 2nd week of Dec. The blues and channels will bite in the discharge all winter, but the late March-May bite is by far the best catfishing in the hot water discharge I fish.