Hot water discharge

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by dengil, Dec 28, 2005.

1. dengil

dengil New Member

State:
    ky
    i went to green river yesterday(12-27). we put in right below rochester dam and went down river to where the steam plant discharges hot water. i forgot my depth finder so i dont know the temp or depth. but barges load in and out there so im sure its not too shallow. anyway we never got a bite. water level was droping last few days.

baits we used were dips from sonnys, wicked sticky, lucky 7, docs, cut bait(frozen shad and blue gill), and fresh liver. the liver is why i dont think it was just us, something always takes liver at the river.

we did come up with a neat trick, we put our dips in a large box coverd it with an old bath towel and used a can of magic heat to keep them soft.

any one have a clue what happened to the fish?

dennis

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The fish are probably there they are just not taking what you are throwing. Try skipjack or shad. You can catch them at these hot water discharges this time of year. Throw a cast net in there and see what happens. You can catch skipjack on a rig made up of three 1/4 oz white jigheads tipped with a white curlytail grub. Tie them 1ft apart on a line and cast into the current to catch them.

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Could anyone tell me where some power plants can be located on the Ohio from Louisville downstream to Henderson. I know of the one on the Green, but was wondering about any on the Ohio on Kentucky or Indiana side would be fine. Vern

4. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Vlparrish, If you head down river from Louisville. There are 3 power plants between L'ville and Caeser Gambling boat. The discharge is not very hot and usually it is very hard to catch skippes there. You just can't seem to find skippes here in the winter...

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Thanks James. I was really interested in a power plant in or around the Cannelton area. My father lives on Rough River and we often hit that area of the Ohio for cats. Although I'm not really familiar with that stretch of river. The only times that I have boat fished there, we docked out of the cloverport ramp and did some drift fishing. I would be willing to travel to to the Hardinsburg-Brandenburg area if they have a power plant. Especially in the summer and fall when the skippies are plentiful. Vern

6. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Vlparrish, Have you thought about going to Cumberland City steam plant? How far is that from you?

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jim, I think it is about 4 hours away. I am interested in the Ohio river below salt river and up river from Cannelton Dam. Are there any power plants in that area. I just got into fishing that stretch of river, because it is the closest big river to my dad's house. Up here ,above Louisville, where I live there is a power plant every 15 to 20 miles or less. Actually there are two in my immediate location within 5 miles of each other. Vern

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I love our hotwater discharge. I catch all my skips there[bait]. I have also seen some nice stripers caught from there. Last year I seen a 16 and a 18 pound blue caught from the discharge.

9. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I am not sure if theres any hot water discharges down this way or not. There is alcoa aluminum company and I've heard they have one but its only accessible by boat. Its just above the Newburgh dam. I catch skippies in the summer and fall on the ohio by downtown evansville finding areas that discharge water into heavy current, but its nothing like cumberland city. But then again I dont devote alot of time keeping track of them either. Have you guys been around this area? I would have to lock through the dam to see if its true, and locking through = lost fishing time. And I dont have my own boat yet, so i try to make use of it. When I get a boat I will try to fish that pool above the newburgh dam and check it out. They gotta be hiding somewhere around here during the winter. :)

10. SIVART22573

SIVART22573 New Member

State:
    Pewee Valley, Kentucky
    Vernon, do you catch a lot of bait around the power plants east of Louisville?

11. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Vernon, you may have to drive a little to get the skips but its worth the drive.

12. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    hey vernon, there is a hot water discharge about half a mile down river from the hawesville boat ramp where you put in to fish below cannelton. it is on your left. did you say your dad lives on rough river lake? thats right up the road from me. i've been tearing the channels up over there this winter. next time your planing on coming down this way pm me and maybe we can hook up. cannelton is my favorite place in the whole wide world to fish.

13. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Sivart, yes I catch alot of my bait at the local discharge. Probably 95% of my skips come from there.
    Slimcat, I can usually catch skips at the local discharge in the spring summer and fall. It's the winter that I have trouble getting them. I have frozen some, but I really prefer fresh.
    Bad3087, I usually fish out of Cloverport which is above Cannelton, but I have bank fished at the dam some. I like it. Vern

14. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    There is a water discharge a couple of miles below cannelton. I fished it one year and caught all the skips and shad you could ever want.Didnt have any luck with cats or stripes.

15. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    ky blue, you know you havent ever caught a fish out of the ohio river! hahahaha! good to see ya posting.

16. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I cant believe you posted a picture holding one of my fish. Thats just not right.hahaha:p