Hot Water Discharge

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by vlparrish, Nov 3, 2006.

1. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I was just wondering if anyone been hitting their local hot water discharge yet. I am thinking of trying mine tommorrow. They can be a smorgasboard of good fishing. I caught crappie, smallmouth, large mouth, stripers, hybrid stripers, white bass, channel cats, blue cats, flathead cats Skipjack, and a huge carp out of my local discharge last fall and winter. Vern

2. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    guess I am not familiar with this hot water discharge...could you explain it

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Todd, a warm water discharge is where the warm water coming from the coolers on a power plant empties into the river, here on the Ohio there are many. Some other big factories like steel mills and such may also have small ones. The water coming from them is usually considerably warmer than the main river. usually around twenty degrees warmer. Not good in the summer, but great during the cooler months. Vern

4. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Had a buddy tell me that he is fishing only around the warm water outlets and he is catching fish left and right, he said that the biggest ones have been between 35 and 50 pounds. He will fish these spots all winter long thanks to a new ramp put in by one of the power plants, you might want to check with your local plant to see if they have a boat ramp that you could use when the water starts icing up.

5. darklight825

darklight825 New Member

State:
    pa
    We have a local warm water discharge that used to be the hot spot. After 9-11 they fenced it and put security there. You get a hefty fine if you get caught. I loved that spot. Probably never find another like it.

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Rick, I am sorry to hear that. The 9/11 attack took away many of our freedoms. Vern

7. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the info...wasn't really sure. I don't have much of anything like that on the stretches of river that I fish so I am really unfamiliar with it. Rural Iowa isn't quite that industrialized. Sounds like a good spot to fish to me.

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering do Alabama, have any warm water discharge? do mean thats the water that comes out the bottom of the dam?

9. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    No CJ, it is not the water coming from below the dam. It is the warm water discharged from the coolers on a power plant. Some of the discharges have easy access and make for good fishing and other power plants discharge in the middle of the river or from behind a fence, where they are unfishable. Vern

10. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania

I know witch one you are taking about but there is another on the Mon try Mitchell power plant .

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I love fishing the warm water discharges, never know what youll catch. Around here you just have to be ready to move if needed. Barges come in and load coal so when they come in you need to move.

12. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    On the Missouri River around K.C. we have a couple of power plants, but even in the dead of winter never found the temps more than a few degrees warmer. Two weeks ago while fishing farther downstream, we did find a little warmer water at another power plant. Might have to try fishing there later in the year.

13. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Same problem here, both the power plants, one in fresh & the other in saltwater have been fenced off or heavily guarded by homeland security:sad2: