Hot Water Cornbread

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by CuzICan, Sep 27, 2008.

1. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    1 1/2 C corn meal
    1 teaspoon sugar
    Pinch salt
    few drops bacon drippings
    2 TBS sweet milk
    Boiling Water

Measure corn meal in bowl, add sugar and salt and stir with a fork. Add Bacon Drippings, milk, and enough boiling water to make of right consistency to drop with large spoon into a fry pan with some grease, like you are making widow woman's cornbread ( fried instead of baked). You can use a griddle greased with bacon drippings too. Let it brown on one side ( can look at the edges) then turn, and turn only once.

Best cornbread you ever put in your mouth. This family would rather have it done this way than regular baked corn bread. I use white corn meal too and it's great. Serve it piping hot with butter! REAL BUTTER! yummmmmmmy!

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks Cher. We likes our cornbread around here. My wife says hers is the best but I kike to try others.

3. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Wow, I forgot how good cornbread fixed like this is. I will be trying it tonight, will be just like mom fixed. Thanks.

4. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Well good I hope you try it and let me know how it turns out, and I've actually used corn meal MIX the past couple of times I made it and it turned out great, and yes I still added the salt it called for though I probably didn't have to....I didn't have any regular meal here and they wanted it so I said I'd try with that and it was good!

5. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I agree. There ain't nothing like it. I love it with butter but just try some with Mayo or Miracle Whip on it. Don;t knock it till you try it.

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thanks Cher sounds good. Myself I like cornbread with my ham& beans and of course good ole Apple Butter.Homemade of course.:smile2:

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks,Cher,I'll have to try that,Never heard of it like that before,I just thought it was all baked. Nice to know a new way to fix an old friend.:wink:

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    For any who haven't tryed it, it is some good vittles.

9. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Alan it is good with mayo iv ben eating it like that for years pinto beans and this corn bread is some good stuff dang husssshhhhhhhhhh now im hungry lol

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    How'd I miss this? ....sounds great!!!!!!!!!!:wink::cool2:

11. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    We love it!:smile2:

12. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    THANKS AGIAN CHER FOR THE RECIPE.I GONNA TRY TO MAKE IT TONIGHT.I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT COMES OUT.

13. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Hey this sounds really good I want to make it but I was wondering do I need a cast-iron pan or a griddle to make this properly? I don't have either...