"HOT" Water Blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by catmankev, May 12, 2007.

1. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Fished a Power Plant Cooling lake today. Caught 12 Blue cats from 4-14 lbs. The water temp was 95 Degrees. Didn't seem to bother them to much! Anyone else have any Luck in this kind of water temp?

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yup. I can catch them all year 'round at the Arkansas nookie plant discharge, but I don't like to fish it when it's too warm, because the fish are too soft & mushy to eat.

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Wow, 95 degrees, I fish in the high 80's but that seems to warm to me, but it's working for you

4. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Wow that's some hot water. We fish the nuke plant above Chattanooga and the temps are usually only 4 or 5 degrees warmer than the rest of the lake. Maybe it is because the discharge is in over 30 feet of water and it cools down by the time it reaches the surface.

Cheez

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The nookie plant here into a canal maybe 100 yards long, then runs into a large cove off Lake Dardanelle. The intake is on the other side of a peninsula, so the only water flow in the cove is from the nuclear plant to the lake. By the time it gets to the lake, it's cooled off a whole lot. But that means a pretty good rise in temperature inside that cove.

6. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    man if the water in the lake is 95 after cooling off I bet the water in that cove is boiling. If you caught your fish there all you would have to do is gut them and you could go ahead and eat them.:lol:
    The discharge at Sequoyah is into the middle of the river channel so it gets cooled pretty quick.

Cheez

7. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    The cold water intake comes from the Kaskaskia River. We were there 3 weekends ago, and they weren't pumping any water that day. Why? I'm not sure but the river's really muddy. This past saturday they were pumping water and it was really muddy. So maybe they shut it down for a while to keep the lake clear. Baldwin is a coal burning facility. I was there in last August, and the water was 95 degrees then. As long as the fish don't mind and keep biteing it's fine with me.:wink:

8. wildusaf

wildusaf New Member

State:
    SC
    i used to fish a small lake that a nuclear plant fed into and there were some huge fish in there, but they closed it shortly after i went

9. luvforcatfish

luvforcatfish New Member

State:
    ms
    i have had a good bit of luck in warmer waters.

10. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Heck I'm with Cheez. Proly already cooked that's why they are soft and mushy:tounge_out:

11. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    lake monticello in s.c. is a nuclear plant cooling lake I fished it sun and the water temp was 88 to 89 degrees.

12. spikespack

spikespack New Member

State:
    illinois
    I recently went to Powerton Lake in IL, with my old man and he caught a 5 lb. blue at the hot ditch, the temp was a scorching 103F!! the fish was amazingly lively for being a little undercooked!LOL!:smile2:

13. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I wonder if when they are not pumping out hot water and the water cools that the bait fish move in and when they pump the hot water out it stuns or killsthem and the blues move in and enjoy the free meals. Just my opinion.

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I've caught flatheads and channels in water well over 100 degrees. It sounds crazy, but if there's forage, there's big fish to eat them. Congrats on the fish though man.

15. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i fish a steam plant and i have some luck but normaly to much fishing pressure

16. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    95 after cooling?!? thats hot. Hottest ive ever fished was 89 in a big farm pond sitting in the middle of a field. it was in the 100s outside too.